The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Biffar and Haart Rieslings 2005

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Biffar and Haart Rieslings 2005

by Saina » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:19 pm

First impressions (i.e. 1st day open):

• 2005 Josef Biffar Wachenheimer Goldbächel Riesling Spätlese Trocken - Germany, Pfalz (8/18/2006)
    AP 5 106 026 062 06; 13%. This is a very full bodied Riesling as can be expected from the high alcohol, but the alcohol doesn't intrude at all. The most striking thing about the wine is its fantastic minerality which permeates both the nose and palate. There is fine fruit and acidity also, but the minerality seems to be a wall that lets little of them show through. Fantastic stuff and perfectly balanced - it's hard to beleive this is a Trocken!
  • 2005 Reinhold Haart Piesporter Kreuzwingert Riesling Spätlese feinherb - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer, Mosel (8/18/2006)
    AP 2 596 429 6 06; 12,5%. Gold + green. The nose is rather strange: appley and earthy like a good cider. There is an undercurrent of lime and minerals. The palate is like cider also, fairly low in acid, but delightfully earthy and rustic and prominently fruity. There are also some rather beer-like malty notes on the aftertaste. Very, very strange. Every other sip I like the wine; every other I don't. Is it somehow faulty? If so, I just don't know how.
  • 2005 Reinhold Haart Piesporter Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer, Mosel (8/18/2006)
    AP 2 596 429 4 08. 9,5%. A touch of gold. A rather tropical nose with passionfruit and pineapple, but also rocks. The palate is rather sweet and heavy for a kabinett, but there is fine acidity which carries the fine fruit to great lengths. Very fine.

Posted from CellarTracker