The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 1999 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Spätlese

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

TN: 1999 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Spätlese

by David M. Bueker » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:22 am

1999 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Nahe (8/16/2006)
Checking in on the progress of this wine, and it's still about 2 years from maturity. The aromatics are just beginning to show secondary development, with smoky elements poking through the rich plum, peach and cherry fruit. The texture of the wine is clearly in the 1999, lower acid mold, a gentle, carressing wine rather than a bracing one. The fruit is carried very well, and the sweeetness balanced while beginning to back off somewhat as the wine approaches maturity, revealing more of the mineral base. The finish is strong and carries the wine right up to the next sip. This is not in the class of wines like the '01-'04, but is a fine Riesling with many years of positive development and drinking ahead of it. Be prepared for a more gentle style of wine though. This is not the vibrant side of Riesling. (92 pts.)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: TN: 1999 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Spätlese

by David M. Bueker » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:49 pm

Night two update: greater richness, more prominent acidity. This is so much better than night 1 that my remaining bottles will sleep for 3 more years at a minimum.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:03 pm

Germany

Re: TN: 1999 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Spätlese

by Peter Ruhrberg » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:51 am

Thanks David. I still think this one was probably best consumed young. It was so incredibly sexy at the start that I doubt it can ever give as much pleasure again. I hold my few remaining ones a bit longer...

Peter