The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Savennieres rocks and Burgundies take flight!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Savennieres rocks and Burgundies take flight!

by JC (NC) » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:48 pm

I dined Saturday at Enoteca Vin in Raleigh.

A 1.5 oz. pour of the 2002 Baumard Savennieres was my first wine of the evening. From the Chenin Blanc grape, this wine was in a dry style. I selected it to accompany my appetizer of poached shrimp, heirloom tomatoes and cucumber consomme. The appetizer was nicely presented with the shrimp piled in the center as an island in the consomme. Very tasty with good shrimp and a clean bright taste from the cucumber and acidity from the tomatoes, and chives as further accent.
The Savennieres exuded a light, bright citrus nose (of grapefruit primarily), with steel or rock minerals undergirding the fruit and also a touch of lanolin. The wine was smooth and refreshing like the cucumber consomme and made for a great pairing. There was a spring freshness to the taste like a pure wellspring flowing over rocks.

Difficult choice between the special of the night, rack of lamb, and sockeye salmon but I went with the salmon and a flight of 1.5 oz. pours of three red Burgundies. $14 for the flight--also available as 3 oz. pours for $28 the flight.

The sockeye salmon was served with sweet corn, red kale and roasted red peppers and new potatoes.

2002 Laurent Bourgogne Rouge (I had just tasted this that afternoon at Carolina Wine Company and purchased two bottles to be picked up later after I get moved.)

Less dense than the second wine in the flight (a Cote de Nuits-Villages). A cherry nose carries over to the cherry on the palate. Some floral element to the nose as well. Nice wine.

2003 G. Jourdan Cote de Nuits-Villages "La Robignotte" A more pentrating nose than the first wine. Less floral or fruity. This and the third wine paired better with the shrimp than the Bourgogne Rouge.

1995 Louis Jadot Chambolle-Musigny "Les Feusselottes"

The first glass the waitperson poured was from a bottle that had been open for staff tasting and was oxidized so she took the initiative to replace it from a fresh bottle before even bringing it to my table. The Chambolle-Musigny had bubbles around the rim when first poured but they quickly dissipated. It appeared somewhat thin in appearance. Leggy on the sides of the glass. Less dense than the Cote de Nuits-Villages. Appeared to be entering its final stages of acceptable drinkability. Guess I prefered the Cote de Nuits-Villages.

I saved some of the Burgundies to accompany a portion of goat cheese--Bouc Emissaire with crusty French bread. The cheese seemed to go well with all three Burgundies. (It is made in Quebec--maybe the Iversons have had it).

I indulged myself by topping off the meal with creme caramel and cappucino. The creme caramel plate was adorned with three pansies.

Life is good!