The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: The `05 Kim Crawford Sauv Blanc (NZ).

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

WTN: The `05 Kim Crawford Sauv Blanc (NZ).

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:49 pm

TN: `05 Sauvignon Blanc Kim Crawford--Marlborough,NZ.

Colour. Pale straw, nice sparkle with just a tinge of green. Inviting!!

Nose. Green BC apple, grapefruit, gooseberry, minerally, no green peppers here.

Palate. Tart, crisp lemon/lime, excellent acidity. Lingering aftertaste, more grapefruit as it breathes. Plus a hint of tropical fruits but still dryish in the finish. Nice but think I preferred the `04. Will retaste next week when I have more time to enjoy, lots going on today.

Cost was $18 Cdn.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: The `05 Kim Crawford Sauv Blanc (NZ).

by Saina » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:07 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:
Nose. Green BC apple, grapefruit, gooseberry, minerally, no green peppers here.

Thanks for the note! When given this wine double blind recently I noted that it smells like Jalopeños! Very odd scent, IMO, but others said it's just what NZ SB is supposed to be.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:25 am

Jalopenos? Missed those but tasted under difficult circumstances! The kitchen was occupied by some neighbours who popped in for a drink, brought in some labs who decided to chase the resident golden retriever, who knocked over some plants which crashed into the stereo system etc. How on earth can one concentrate with all that going on!!!!
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:46 am

What a calamity you have going over there, Bob. The Crawford SB is showing up around here so it's time to give it a try. Thanks
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:50 am

I've found jalapenos in CA sauvignon blanc, which seemed connected to the riper and more savory character of the wine in comparison to crisp eastern Loires. But, not sure how that stacks up with the Crawford climate.
no avatar
User

Lisa Roskam

Rank

Cellar rat

Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:48 am

France

by Lisa Roskam » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:29 am

The goal for most Marlborough Sauvignon blanc's is definitely a balance between the green flavours - jalapeno, bell pepper, grass, hay - and the fruit flavours - grapefruit, passionfruit, fijoa, pineapple. They achieve this in blending grapes from different subclimates at varying degrees of ripeness.

I worked at Kim Crawford Winery for the 2006 harvest and have great respect for the winemaker there (Jules Taylor). She pushes cold fermentations to the absolute limit to try to maximize the preservation of those great tropical fruit aromas. It was a pleasure to do tank work with the white wines there due to the lovely aromas - particularly the "Savvy" as they say. Mmmmm.

If you ever see the Kim Crawford Spitfire series (with a sunflower on the front label) or Jules Taylor's Sauvignon blancs I highly recommend trying them. They are the top-end selections from the same winery.

Cheers,
Lisa
Last edited by Lisa Roskam on Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:31 am

Interesting, so jalapeno is a green flavor? Coming from underripe grapes? Not at all the extra ripeness I assumed?

But it must be somehow related to climate and at that the warm (or at least non Loire) climates. Because I've tasted tons of Loire sauvignon blancs, with all kinds of green flavors, but never with jalapeno.
no avatar
User

Lisa Roskam

Rank

Cellar rat

France

by Lisa Roskam » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:53 am

We did group jalapeno in with the green flavours.

Jalapeno aroma in Sauvignon blanc is normally associated with methoxypyrazines, which are degraded as grapes ripen. At least this is what they taught me in school. :wink: I have also heard that these characteristics are diminished as the vines mature so vineyard replantings are more frequent in Marlborough.

I do not have much experience with Loire wines (sadly) but have worked with Sauvignon blanc in Bordeaux and New Zealand. In Marlborough they harvest the grapes much "greener" than they do in Bordeaux. The sugar levels are not that different but the acidities are definitely higher and compounds such as the methoxypyrazines are more prevalent. FWIW I would guess that the climate in the Loire would be somewhere between Marlborough and Bordeaux, but that their winemaking practices and harvesting decisions might be more similar to those in Bordeaux.

Lisa
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:59 am

Ok, so perhaps this is a question of CA sauvignon blanc getting very "ripe" heavy and sweet from all the rapid sun, but not having the proper phenolic maturity, hence the jalapeno flavors. Certainly a story we know well for other grapes in CA.. But thanks for pointing out the correct source of the jalapeno..

(Although I entertained notions of local "terroir" speaking through, as CA is really just Mexico afterall, land of jalapenos..)
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:30 am

Lisa--
Just a quick hello and welcome to this group. I appreciate the experience the knowledge and experience you're sharing in your posts, and I look forward to reading more from you in the future. Cheers!
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:55 am

Clinton Macsherry wrote:Lisa--
Just a quick hello and welcome to this group. I appreciate the experience the knowledge and experience you're sharing in your posts, and I look forward to reading more from you in the future. Cheers!

Lisa. I echo Clinton`s comment and thanks for all the info. It is terrific to have you here as we talk NZ quite a bit. I have not really considered Jalopenos in the past. I have always grouped my thoughts around green peppers, mushy peas, green olives (and asparagus).....amongst other nuances. This is an interesting thread!! In fact my notes were posted originally on our sister Netscape forum where I try to attract the attention of newbies and those willing to learn. So I did not write too much detail, plus all the commotion home on the ranch!!!

*****checked in on the blog site, are those all your comments? Cool stuff.
What about posting some tasting notes there!!!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:12 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:What a calamity you have going over there, Bob. The Crawford SB is showing up around here so it's time to give it a try. Thanks

Will you be tasting in the pool with the rubber duckies for cheerleaders?!!

http://www.1976design.com/blog/images/large/483a.jpg
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:52 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Ok, so perhaps this is a question of CA sauvignon blanc getting very "ripe" heavy and sweet from all the rapid sun, but not having the proper phenolic maturity, hence the jalapeno flavors. Certainly a story we know well for other grapes in CA.. But thanks for pointing out the correct source of the jalapeno..

(Although I entertained notions of local "terroir" speaking through, as CA is really just Mexico afterall, land of jalapenos..)

Rahsaan, when I first started getting into Calif. SB (years ago) it was St Supery, Kenwood, Stirling. All Liquor Board wines before privatization! Nice wines and still are. I have always found too much residual sugar in many others, at least that is the way I looked at it! Any idea which wineries are producing dryer SB`s?
no avatar
User

Lisa Roskam

Rank

Cellar rat

France

by Lisa Roskam » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:21 pm

Wow! You guys really know how to make a girl feel welcome! :D

Yes, most of our blog has been written by me. My husband is supposed to be contributing the French bits but he's been a little shy so far.

Thanks very much!
Lisa
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:01 pm

This has been a solid wine for a few years now. For Canadians, it had the additional prestige of being owned by a Canadian wine company for a few years. At least, until the Constellation mega-corporation swallowed it up like a cheap amuse bouche!

Lisa, thanks for the inside info!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:09 pm

Lisa Roskam wrote:We did group jalapeno in with the green flavours.

Jalapeno aroma in Sauvignon blanc is normally associated with methoxypyrazines, which are degraded as grapes ripen. At least this is what they taught me in school. :wink: I have also heard that these characteristics are diminished as the vines mature so vineyard replantings are more frequent in Marlborough.

I do not have much experience with Loire wines (sadly) but have worked with Sauvignon blanc in Bordeaux and New Zealand. In Marlborough they harvest the grapes much "greener" than they do in Bordeaux. The sugar levels are not that different but the acidities are definitely higher and compounds such as the methoxypyrazines are more prevalent. FWIW I would guess that the climate in the Loire would be somewhere between Marlborough and Bordeaux, but that their winemaking practices and harvesting decisions might be more similar to those in Bordeaux.

Lisa

Well, I just enjoyed retasting the `05 under better conditions than last week and I have to report......no jalapenos!! My notes will follow asap and I have to say I have a better prospective this time around. Still humming after 3 hrs, the wine not me!
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:40 pm

Awesome note, Bob! I always enjoy reading your notes.

It's been ages since I bought any NZ Sauvignon. I think it's time to stock up again!

Cheers,

Paul
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca