WTN: Fundi 2007

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Fundi 2007

Postby Otto » Wed May 27, 2009 6:42 pm

Fundi 2007 14% abv; PETIT VERDOT (36 %), CABERNET SAUVIGNON (27 %), MALBEC (27 %), MERLOT (10 %)

This was sourced from Waterkloof in Stellenbosch and Paarl. It was released by Wines of South Africa with the purpose of training 2000 wine stewards from "previously disadvantaged people" for the 2010 Soccer World Cup. The name comes from the Zulu for "learner".

This was a nice wine, but not so much to my taste that I find this good QPR at 20€, but since the proceeds seem to go to making life (hopefully) better for 2000 people, one shouldn't complain. It is ripe, full of sweet, dark berry aromas. It smells like a well made Bx blend of a ripe style should: a slight refreshing lift and damp earth mixed with the dark fruit. The strong proportion of PV in the blend is perhaps what gives it an attractive scent of violet or some such flower? Ripe, very nice tannins that are ripe but still refreshing, perfectly decent though not high acidity. 10% new oak, and it is well hidden. It is certainly an attractive wine, seemingly unspoofulated, and with a bit of character.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
Otto
Musaroholic

Return to Wine Focus