The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Some wine geeks are coming to dinner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Some wine geeks are coming to dinner

by David M. Bueker » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:57 am

Jenise wrote:And we all need to accept that when we're guests, our wines won't neccessarily get opened.

And the vast majority of wine geeks understand this, but bring a 6-pack anyway! :D

Having traveled with a bottle of 1994 Zind-Humbrecht Clos WIndsbuhl Pinot Gris VT to 4 different dinners and not had it opened, this point has been driven home for me.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:05 am

Many thanks, David. No hurry at all -- I haven't improved it for four years, even though I've used it a couple of dozen times.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:09 am

David, was that the same bottle or four different ones? I probably should have said, "accept that your bottle may not be opened, and you will never see it again." When I don't know the host well enough to predict an outcome, I always take something that I can let go of with a smile. And I'll add that on the few occasions when my wine didn't get opened? I've always been treated better than I gave. Here's just about the worst story I can tell on myself: the time I was hurt that my bottle didn't get opened, I remember getting a very generous glass from a magnum of 78 La Tache. That was hands down the best Burgundy I've ever drunk. Now what kind of a baby would give a thought about their own bottle when they are getting treated to something as f***ing brilliant as that? I learned from the one mistake and never felt that way again, but it is embarrassing to admit that it was one of the lessons I had to learn.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Conner

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:35 am

Knoxville, TN

by Mike Conner » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:14 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Having traveled with a bottle of 1994 Zind-Humbrecht Clos WIndsbuhl Pinot Gris VT to 4 different dinners and not had it opened, this point has been driven home for me.

Moreso the loss of those dinner attendees. One of my favorite wines that I did not buy enough of . . . I think I'm down to one of those, and one of the Rotenberg PG VTs.

Now, if wine dinner #5 just happens to be in Knoxville, TN, I'll lay odds the bottle would NOT survive!

Mike

In search of the perfect QPR wine.... does it exist?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:49 am

Jenise wrote:David, was that the same bottle or four different ones?

Same bottle...all events at restaurants, except once at the home of a close friend who has even more wine than I do, and therefore never lets anything stay. The bottle is back resting safe and sound in my cellar.
Decisions are made by those who show up
Previous