The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2003 Seghesio Family Vineyards Zinfandel Home Ranch

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

WTN: 2003 Seghesio Family Vineyards Zinfandel Home Ranch

by John S » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:18 am

• 2003 Seghesio Family Vineyards Zinfandel Home Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Alexander Valley (8/9/2006)
    Ruby/purple in color, with nice berry notes on the nose. Medium to medium-full bodied, with lots of rasberries, blueberries, blackberries and toasty, smoky notes. I had this on the cool side, so there was no heat, and also few tannins. A nice explosion of berries on the palate, but rather straightforward in style. I was hoping for a bit more complexity and concentration for such old vines. (B+)
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2003 Seghesio Family Vineyards Zinfandel Home Ranch

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:58 am

Big coincidence John. Just arrived home from an instore Zin tasting here in Edmonton! I will be posting some notes asap.
Big winners were...........

`03 Cape Mentelle Zinfandel,Margaret River, Aust.
`02 EOS Zin, Paso Robles.
`02 Sebastiani Old Vine Zin, Sonoma

I myself preferred the Sebastiani but you should have seen the Mentelle fly off the shelf after the tasting!!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:27 am

John, it's been my experience that old vines often give zinfandels a lot of weight, plus a pervasive black raspberry flavor (black raspberry is an uncommon fruit but it's spot-on the flavor of OV zin) note, both of which seem to rob the wine of the tangy, spicy complexity of it's younger cousins. Not a fan, you might not be either.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:11 pm

I used to be a Seghesio fan, but a few years ago, their prices and oak levels both went up, and looking in my spreadsheet, I no longer have any Seghesio zin! (My newest bottles were from the '01 vintage.)

I used to prefer their most generic, inexpensive, blue-capsule Zin, which was a good quaff at $10 - $12, but these days I seem to find better Zins for the $15 - $20 that they're getting for the cheap stuff.

And I've never thought their single-vineyard Zins offered good value, though they were sometimes interesting.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:43 pm

Black rasberries, eh Jenise? I've never tried them, so I didn't use that descriptor, but I could 'see' it being apropos for this wine: it definitely had an interesting mix of red and black berries. It had a touch of spicyness, but not much.

I certainly enjoyed the wine - it was well made, not too much oak, had nice balance, etc. - but it just was on the 'good' side of 'outstanding', if you know what I mean.

This bottle cost $45 in BC, so it wasn't exactly a good QPR wine. Have to agree with you there, John.

Bob, looking forward to your AB zin report. I often enjoy Cape Mentelle wines. Unfortunately in BC we only get their Sem/SB and the Trinders Cab/Merlot blends, while I'm most interested in their shiraz and cabernet. Do you get those in AB? Haven't tried their zin, but I'v heard good things about it in the past.