The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Potel, Pommard, Pruliers, and plenty of pork!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Potel, Pommard, Pruliers, and plenty of pork!

by Dale Williams » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:17 am

Matt Richman & Arv Rao organized an offline at Daisy Mae's BBQ on 11th Avenue last night. The Big Pig Gig requires 48 hour notice. Half of a (large) suckling pig served with barbecue sauce (I'd call this South Carolina style, with definite mustard notes). They hand out plastic gloves and aprons , you rip apart the pig yourself (at the end Matt and Howard Chen gave a seminar in carcass picking- bravo!). Sides included slaw, Texas toast, baked beans, mashed potatoes and gravy; desserts were watermelon and Bourbon peaches.

The first 8 pix in Arv's album show us and our pig:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/droolingh ... pg&.src=ph

The wines:

2004 Michel Niellon "Les Champgains" Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru
A really perfect ideal of Niellon's style- rich ripe almost tropical fruit that might remind one of California, except for a clean acidity and dominating mineral streak in the finish. Reminds me of ripe pears with citrus juice squirted on them. A-/A

PD's mystery wine: Nose seemed like white Burgundy to me. On the palate the wood seemed quite heavy to me (no one else seemed to agree). There was a mineral note that seemed to agree, though the palate was more floral/tropical and citrusy. The more I tasted the less idea I had, I wavered, but threw out Meursault as a guess, my worst guess of the year, it's the 2004 Mas d´en Compte (Priorat), apparently mostly Grenache blanc. B

On to the reds:
1999 Girardin "Champans" Volnay
Quite tight at first. Opened though, with some nice dark cherry fruit. Seems a bit oaky, but overall well-balanced. B+

1988 Ballot-Millot "Pezerolles" Pommard 1er
Tight and still a little tannic, this had a funky dankness (not corked, though) at first. But that eventually blew off , by my last revisit it was showing much improvement with a meaty note over raspberry and cherry fruit, with some mushroomy nuances. Not exciting, but acceptable mature Burg. B/B+

1990 Camus Charmes-Chambertin
Initially a little too cold to taste. As it warmed, some light maderized notes appear. Rather thin for a 1990, without a lot of oomph. C

2002 Fourrier "Les Petit Vougeots" Vougeot 1er
Tied for red WOTN for me. Really nice, with a light ripe tannins and balanced acidity framing a pure red fruit core. Some power here, even though there's a lacy texture that is quite elegant. Hints of spice and mineral abound. A-

2003 Chevillon "Les Perrieres" Nuits St Georges

(actually my fight card says Les Cailles, but pretty sure this was Perrieres). Jammy, round - this shows more of the (weak spots of the) 2003 vintage than the strengths of Chevillon. Raspberry jam with a funny note of orange juice. C+

2003 Chevillon "Les Pruliers" Nuits St Georges
I like this better than the Perrieres,but still seems too ripe and low-acid for me. The redeeming feature is a real minerality that runs underneath the black fruit. Still, I'm not thrilled to find on Cellartracker that I have a couple coming. B-

2000 Nicolas Potel Echezeaux
I am however happy that I have a bottle or two of this in the cellar. Nice, open, with some gravitas yet light on its feet. Ripe but not overripe cherry fruit, a bit of earth with a funny (but not at all unpleasant) sandalwood aromas dancing around. B+/A-

1999 Guy Castagnier Clos-St.-Denis
I was glad this was poured late, it was tight and a little funky when opened. Could use time, but very nice for a well-priced Grand Cru. Some real depth and with nice purity of darker fruit, balanced acidity, strong finish with mineral and earth. A-

2001 La Tour Blanche (Sauternes)
This is just lovely Sauternes, the intense sweetness lightened and offset by a vibrant acidity that makes this wine dance. Lovely apricot and pineapple fruit, long long long finish. A-

Fun night with a good group! Thanks to Matt and Arv for your work.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Potel, Pommard, Pruliers, and plenty of pork!

by David M. Bueker » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:31 am

Re: 2003 Chevillon, I have had five of his wines so far from the '03 vintage and liked not a one. They are truly marked by the vintage and show a lack of balance for my taste. In fact the '03 Les Saint Georges was confused with the '03 Sea Smoke Ten at a tasting back in February.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

by Dan Donahue » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:54 am

Nice line up. I wish I could find some Les Petite Vougeot, I've heard great things.

I'm dipping my toe back into the '03, there have been some good prices and some surprising showings. I haven't tried any Chevillons yet. My guess is that they'll need some serious bottle time to show their best (which may not be much).
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:23 am

David, did the ones you tried include Vaucrains? That's the other one I have coming besides the Pruliers.

Dan, TCWC ($50) and Zachys($55) both have it. I will wait to see if Zachys does one of their periodic 18% sales.