The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Williams Selyem Vin Gris 2005

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

WTN: Williams Selyem Vin Gris 2005

by Hoke » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:32 pm

Had occasion to take a friend to Healdsburg on Sunday and lunched at Willi's Seafood and Raw Bar.

Excellent food: Delicious fries in Garlic and Parsley with a Point Reyes Blue Cheese Dip, Pan Roasted Shrimp, Crab and Sweet White Corn Fritters, and a Spinach, Watercress, Fresh Fig and Chevre Salad.

I selected a bottle of the 2005 Williams Selyem Russian River Valley Vin Gris of Pinot Noir. It was perfect for the occasion: fresh, lively, aromatic, and wonderfully versatile with all the foods on the table.

The nose was ripe strawberries, which followed through in the flavors,with the nip of bright acidity and tartness to liven things up. The finish was eerily reminiscent of a Nehi Strawberry Soda from my childhood (for those old enough to remember Nehi Strawberry Sodas), but without the sweetness.

The wine, as delicious as it was, really began to shine when it came up against the food though. The sweet crab and sweet corn of the fritters brought out the trace sweetness and fruit elements; the spicy peppers of the pan roasted shrimp brought out a wonderful tart rush of cranberry from the wine to balance out the spice and robust flavors.

I'd happily seek this wine out again. Outside of the Sinskey 2005 Rose (which, sadly, I didn't buy enough of and its already gone from my wine shop now), it's one of the best CA roses I've had this year.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Williams Selyem Vin Gris 2005

by Rahsaan » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:37 am

You and your luscious CA food (complaining because I just got back from the cafeteria of my London university where they offered sandwiches with an infinite selection of dull grey-colored unidentifiable fillings)..

But, just curious, what was the price for this wine? Reasonable territory?
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:43 am

I'm bummed.. I buy the WS Pinots, but I didn't know they made whites. I'll have to pay more attention! Thanx for the heads-up!!

Rahsaan, when I lived in London, I used to lunch at a nunnery every day...the food was outstanding!!!
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:48 am

Rahsaan, when I lived in London, I used to lunch at a nunnery every day...the food was outstanding!!!

So much for ascetic religious folks..

But yes, there is great food in town, I was just venting at the difference between what had been offered to me moments before and the bounty of Hoke's CA offerings..
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:52 am

Oh.. and I used to pay something like a pound fifty for the nun's food....

Oh yeah, anyone who says they can't find good food in London isn't looking.... or at least not looking in the right places...
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:04 pm

Rahsaan, when I lived in London, I used to lunch at a nunnery every day...

Yahbut, unlike Rahsaan, you also like the company of virgins. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:07 pm

Rahsaan wrote:You and your luscious CA food (complaining because I just got back from the cafeteria of my London university where they offered sandwiches with an infinite selection of dull grey-colored unidentifiable fillings)..

But, just curious, what was the price for this wine? Reasonable territory?

Rahsaan, I did not realize you were in London! Have you checked out Moreno wines for their Spainish selection and how about the shop that only sells Loire? Sorry I cannot be more specific about locations!!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:01 pm

Rahsaan, I did not realize you were in London! Have you checked out Moreno wines for their Spainish selection and how about the shop that only sells Loire? Sorry I cannot be more specific about locations!!

Yes Moreno is quite impressive, but a shop that only sells Loire? Sounds interesting, never heard of it..

I did enjoy a couple of meals at RSJ Brasserie with the heavily-Loire and heavily-aged list, but..
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:48 pm

Rahsaan, I think RSJ buys from this store. According to the Dictator/Decanter. Any chance you could give them a call for me? Thanks.
Better still does RSJ have a website?

****OK just checked, it does. Out for an hour or two, I will email them. Hows zat?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:04 pm

Thanks, would love to know about such a shop.

Although I think RSJ also buys directly from the Loire do they not? At least when I spent my 2 weeks at Pierre Bise I saw them come down to taste and purchase, but I guess they can't get everything that way..
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:44 pm

As I recall, Rahsaan, the WS Vin Gris was around $30 on the Willi's list.

We three certainly felt we got our money's worth. It's been a good summer for roses. Our other recent favorite was a more modestly priced Sorelle Rose of Syrah from Menodocino Wine Co. Retails for, like, $10 around here. But loads of good Rhone rosies too, of course. And Spanish. And Languedoc-Rousillon. And Italian.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:39 pm

OK, they used to buy from Old St Wine Co. However the place changed owners and there have been problems (UK wine forum). Waiting to hear from the restaurant.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:49 am

Thanks for the tip on Old St Wine Co., I had done a fair amount of research on London wine shops and never heard of them, perhaps they are no longer as interesting, oh well..