The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2002 Wairau River Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough New Zealand.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: 2002 Wairau River Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough New Zealand.

by Bob Ross » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:41 pm

2002 Wairau River Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough New Zealand. $21.00 at Beekman Wines and Liquors, Glen Rock, NJ. Imported by Paterno Wines International; this wine is described at http://www.paternowines.com/wines/new_z ... 8&VIN=2002

Joel Mitchell mentioned that the 2002 vintage had arrived at his store about three weeks ago; he has the impression that this winery is starting to release its wines near the time it reaches peak drinkability. If so, the winery or the importer called it well. This wine was absolutely delicious.

Lovely yellow color, clear hue, wonderful aroma of fruit, light and citrus in the beginning, gaining strength and complexity in the glass, leading to a number of tropical fruit notes, grapefruit, melon, pineapple, all melded very nicely, flavor to match the complexity of the aroma, firm acidity, medium mouth feel, long, long finish. Delicious. 4*+.

Great match with homemade pizza -- a very thin simple crust that cooks in less than two minutes on my 700F grill. All the ingredients have to be warm -- a simple tomato sauce, sweet Italian sausage, green peppers, fresh mozz, and for a few seconds, fresh basil leaves.

A wonderful evening on the deck -- almost perfect food and wine.

Regards, Bob

Note: this note is cross posted from the Netscape site as part of the Sauvignon Blanc Wine of the Month feature. B.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Re: WTN: 2002 Wairau River Sauvignon Blanc Marlboroug New Zealand.

by Sue Courtney » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:25 pm

Good to hear that a 2002 is doing so well. Looking at that website you mention, it sure does have high acidity levels and moderate pH, which has probably kept it quite fresh and as well as keeping the dreaded asparagus juice at bay. I only have notes for their 'Reserve' from 2002, which is an oaked version.
The 2005 did very well here, winning several gold medals. It has also had a label update and the picture has gone, so less distinctive on the shelves, but much smarter overall.
no avatar
User

Joe Cz

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:46 am

Monroe, NY

Re: WTN: 2002 Wairau River Sauvignon Blanc Marlboroug New Zealand.

by Joe Cz » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:38 pm

Bob,

I received samples of the 2002 back in May 2003, the 2004 last July and I tasted the 2005 in NZ last August. Even accounting for some delay in shipping, the big reason to be selling the 2002 now is that it must have moved slowly somewhere in the distribution chain--the 2005 is what the local distributor lists right now.

Still, it's nice to hear that a wine I felt should be drunk young is still surviving.

Joe
Joe Czerwinski