Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Last night's meal

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Last night's meal

by Larry Greenly » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:47 am

I invited the young neighbors over last night. They had just recently returned from Europe.

The menu:

Clear garlic soup with garlic toast points.
Shrimp scampi.
Tossed salad.
Orecchietta with broccoli and wild boar meat.
Oranges and walnuts with orange liqueur syrup, garnished with dried hibiscus.

Afterwards we sipped on 110-proof absinthe, which they had brought back with them.

Needless to say, I'm a little dry this morning.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Last night's meal

by Jenise » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:31 pm

What a fabu meal, Larry. One ingredient you mention is particularly tantalizing--hibiscus. I used to buy the dried flowers to make a delightful punch from, they were always a deep maroon in color. Were yours? I can imagine the gorgeous color they'd impart to your desert.

Oh, and what is the hispanic name for them? I cannot remember, though I believe it started with the letter 'j'.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:01 pm

Sounds delicious. Do you have a local source for the boar, or is this a mail order source (D'Artagnan or that place in Tx)?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:19 pm

Jenise wrote:What a fabu meal, Larry. One ingredient you mention is particularly tantalizing--hibiscus. I used to buy the dried flowers to make a delightful punch from, they were always a deep maroon in color. Were yours? I can imagine the gorgeous color they'd impart to your desert.

Oh, and what is the hispanic name for them? I cannot remember, though I believe it started with the letter 'j'.

Is it jamaica that you're thinking of? I believe that's the hibiscus drink that our local burrito joint sells along with horchata.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:55 pm

Jenise wrote:What a fabu meal, Larry. One ingredient you mention is particularly tantalizing--hibiscus. I used to buy the dried flowers to make a delightful punch from, they were always a deep maroon in color. Were yours? I can imagine the gorgeous color they'd impart to your desert.

I've made drinks from dried hibiscus. These particular ones were from Trader Joe's and were plump and chewy, sorta like gummy bears. There was no color imparted because it was just garnish, but you did give me an idea for next time. The dessert was a real winner, light and tasty, and I'll do it again.

You may be thinking of "Jamaica," pronounced with an "H."
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:01 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Sounds delicious. Do you have a local source for the boar, or is this a mail order source (D'Artagnan or that place in Tx)?

The boar was shot by an acquaintance. I received a couple of kinds of sausage, including the Italian sausage version, which I used last night. Quite tasty meat.

(Completely off track): I just found out that "quite," when used as a modifier in British English means something was so-so. The Brits use "fairly," instead, to mean something was really good, as in "it was fairly good." Just the opposite of American English, in case your British friends compliment you and you aren't exactly dazzled.