The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 2 Live Cru Chablis

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

TN: 2 Live Cru Chablis

by geo t. » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:02 pm

1994 Joseph Drouhin Chablis - Vaudésir, 13% alc.: The last of three that we’ve so enjoyed over the past few years, this one is showing a pale to medium golden color, and gives off a nice flint, matchstick and honeycomb combo on the nose; remarkably fresh in the mouth, it offers rich honeycomb and pear with hints of butterscotch, well integrated oak and less minerality initially than the previous two. However, with air, a streak of oily limestone emerges, adding to the complexity and appeal. Medium to medium full body, with excellent concentration, cut and length on the finish, this bottle would have continued to develop and improve for at least another three to five years, but it was very well received, and I have no regrets for having opened it.

Joseph Drouhin Wines Imported by Dreyfus, Ashby & Co., New York, NY

1985 Jean-Marie Raveneau Chapelot, 11-14% alc.: Bennet Traub, who squirreled this medium straw away in his carry-on luggage to share with us, tells us that Chapelot is a "leux dit" of another Premier Cru vineyard in Chablis, Montee du Tonnerre, and this certainly pays testament to Raveneau’s reputation for long lived wines. An initial big nutty hit on the nose subsides to take a back seat to the dominant flavors and aromas of limestone and under ripe apple, and a very subtle note of butterscotch gradually makes itself known with air; Bennett also mentions "almost a gout de petrol, kind of like an Alsatian Riesling," and after some swirlatude, I picked up on that as well. Medium to medium full body, and somewhat oily, with enough acidity to keep it moving right along and a nice long finish, this also seems very fresh in its own way, and provides a wonderful drinking experience, not to mention a most interesting contrast to the Drouhin Vaudésir.

Imported by Kermit Lynch Wine Merchant, Berkeley, CA

- From Wine with Friends

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: TN: 2 Live Cru Chablis

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:58 pm

Thanks Geo--wow, an `85 Chablis. Unbelievable, would never have thought this would have lasted so long. You made my evening!
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

Re: TN: 2 Live Cru Chablis

by geo t. » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:02 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Thanks Geo--wow, an `85 Chablis. Unbelievable, would never have thought this would have lasted so long. You made my evening!

Glad to hear it, Bob. As stated, the wine pays testament to Raveneau’s reputation for long lived wines; I've heard that you don't even want to consider opening one from a good vintage before its 10th birthday.

Cheers,

geo

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: 8)
Nunquam Spuemus