The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2003 Domaine Drouhin Pinot

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

WTN: 2003 Domaine Drouhin Pinot

by Redwinger » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:58 pm

2003 Domaine Drouhin Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley
Medium bodied with a nice aroma of black cherries, earth/forest which all follow on the palate. An elegant wine with finese and a lingering savory spiced finish. Enough acidity to provide a lift on the palate without becoming aggressive. Balanced. I liked this wine a lot, but would like it better if it retailed closer to $30 than the high $30 range.
Bill
Disclaimer: I sell this wine to people
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: WTN: 2003 Domaine Drouhin Pinot

by John Treder » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:56 pm

Redwinger wrote:[color=blue][u][b]

Gee, you restrict yourself to people? How about wine-idiots like so many of those here?

BTW, I agree with you about the QPR of Domaine Drouhin.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:02 pm

Redwinger wrote:2003 Domaine Drouhin Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley
Medium bodied with a nice aroma of black cherries, earth/forest which all follow on the palate. An elegant wine with finese and a lingering savory spiced finish. Enough acidity to provide a lift on the palate without becoming aggressive. Balanced. I liked this wine a lot, but would like it better if it retailed closer to $30 than the high $30 range.
Bill

Thanks for the note, Bill. FWIW, I commend DDO at holding the line, price-wise, as much as they have since their first vintage in '88. IIRC, their first release retailed for about $30 (not corrected for inflation), so they have actually come down in price over the past 18 years, a fairly uncommon occurrence in the wine biz (their production has increased notably, but many producers wouldn't have cut prices even so). These days, I think that they're one of the better QPR producers in Oregon.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:58 am

John - Santa Clara wrote:Gee, you restrict yourself to people? How about wine-idiots like so many of those here?

John,
Yeah, even a few wine-idiots from time to time. I also encounter some just plain old-fashioned idiots as well, like the guy yesterday who called me a liar...I came "this close" to seeing if I am still as handy with my fists as I used to be.
Redwinger
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:37 am

Mark Lipton wrote:Thanks for the note, Bill. FWIW, I commend DDO at holding the line, price-wise, as much as they have since their first vintage in '88. IIRC, their first release retailed for about $30 (not corrected for inflation), so they have actually come down in price over the past 18 years, a fairly uncommon occurrence in the wine biz (their production has increased notably, but many producers wouldn't have cut prices even so). These days, I think that they're one of the better QPR producers in Oregon.

Mark Lipton

Mark,
Thanks for the DDO pricing background. I was not aware of this, or if I was, it was long forgotten. Regarding the current pricing...what can I say? I'm cheap!!
Hope things are well in Laugh-a Lot.
Redwinger
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:48 am

Redwinger wrote:..... like the guy yesterday who called me a liar...

Two old Maine farmers talking over the fence.
"Tell me, would you call Arnold an honest man, or would you call him a liar?"
"Well, I wouldn't go so faah as to call him a liar, but I heard tell, and by them that know, that when he wants his cows to come in from pasture, he's gotta get someone else to call 'em."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:16 pm

[quote="Mark Lipton]Thanks for the note, Bill. FWIW, I commend DDO at holding the line, price-wise, as much as they have since their first vintage in '88. IIRC, their first release retailed for about $30 (not corrected for inflation), so they have actually come down in price over the past 18 years, a fairly uncommon occurrence in the wine biz (their production has increased notably, but many producers wouldn't have cut prices even so). These days, I think that they're one of the better QPR producers in Oregon.

Mark Lipton[/quote]

Mark, kudos on the correction. I remember when the basic DDO went to $36 or $38 with the 94 vintage--it's stayed right about there ever since. DDO and St. Innocent are both heros for holding prices down, not something all have done (or been able to do, labor's not cheap in the Willamette Valley).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov