The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1994 Dominus Napa Valley California.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: 1994 Dominus Napa Valley California.

by Bob Ross » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:50 am

1994 Dominus Napa Valley California.

Deep purple red color (no browning), deep hue, subdued aroma of fruit and pepper, single note flavor of fruit and pepper with little complexity, well rounded tannins, medium mouth feel, long single note finish. Very puzzling -- I would have thought this wine would have had a lot more stuffing. Its been kept in a cold cellar since release -- 50-52F -- and it sure showed great promise at a tasting in 1997. Nothing home tonight. 2*.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 1994 Dominus Napa Valley California.

by Jenise » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:46 am

Sounds like one of those inexplicably bad bottles, Bob. The 96 we had a couple weeks ago was superb, and your 94 should have been about as good. Have any backups?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: WTN: 1994 Dominus Napa Valley California.

by Bob Ross » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:07 pm

I'm not so sure, Jenise; I saw a similar report on Cellar Tracker of a bottle tasted last fall by another wine lover.

I've got a case of the 1994 -- I went through a short Parker Point period, got intrigued with Dominus and the Dominus story, and bought a case each of the 1990 and the 1994.

Based on this tasting, I'm very tempted to sell or donate both cases -- I haven't been in the point game for many years, and really don't collect that way.

Odd how yesterday went: a lovely Vermentino for lunch, a corked Saint Joseph Blanc from Andrea Robinson, and a flat Dominus from my Parker Period. Wonder how today will go?

Regards, Bob