WTN: To the Manoir Born

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: To the Manoir Born

Postby Bruce K » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:00 am

Domaine Manoir du Carra (Jean Noël Sambardier) 2004 Beaujolais-Villages Non-Filtre, $10
The nose literally explodes from the glass with flowers and perfume — very high-toned but not veering off into VA-land. Quite exceptional. Rich strawberry and cherry fruit dominate the palate with some earthy accents. Nice bright acidity, very smooth, uncomplicated, refreshing (in the midst of a 110 degree heat index), great value. Went fine with veggie BLT sandwiches. The next night, it was just as delightful. Importer: Kysela Pere et Fils.
Bruce K
Wine guru

Re: WTN: To the Manoir Born

Postby Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:04 am

Tiimely note, Bruce. I just got a mailer to say that this is back on the shelf locally. We had it about a year ago and I loved it but not everyone at our table was as enthusiastic about it as I was.
Bill Buitenhuys
Wine guru

Re: WTN: To the Manoir Born

Postby Bruce K » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:23 am

Thanks, Bill. I've had this in several vintages and like a lot of Kysela's imports, it's very fruit-oriented but also true to the grape and appellation. Not as complex as a Brun, for example (e.g., no barnyard whatsoever), but really hits the spot with food on a hot summer day for a good price. And that nose! I can understand why that much perfume would not be to everyone's liking but I got a kick out of it.
Bruce K
Wine guru

Return to Wine Focus