The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

You talkin' to me?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

You talkin' to me?

by Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:09 am

I received this in an emailer today...

ATTENTION, LOVERS OF HEDONISTIC FRUITBOMBS FROM DOWN UNDER!!!!!!!!

The mailer then goes on to push the latest pointy media darling, Mollydooker.

As a member of the 12-step Fruitbomber Therapy Program I can't help but be curious. Has anyone had any of this line?
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: You talkin' to me?

by Bob Ross » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:46 am

The wine comes from the folks who just split up with the Grateful Palate and Dan Phillips. The Marquis Phillips line will continue without the Marquis.

I tried a number of the Marquis Phillips wines made by Sarah and Sparky Marquis -- actually quite pleasant for the style, and certainly reasonably priced.

Haven't seen any Molly Dooker wines in this area. http://www.mollydookerwines.com.au/

I like the name -- it is Aussie slang for a left handed person as the website indicates, especially sports people. Originally, if I have the story right, it meant a left handed boxer. A combined form of Molly -- slang for a homosexual -- and Dook = a variant of Duke in the sense of a hand (i.e. "put up your dukes").

There may have been a sense that left handed boxers were sissies. All this from S. J. Baker in an excellent history of Australian English, 1945.

It's now used more generally according to the OED to mean any left handed person.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:08 am

I received a similar email from the Wine Source in B'more. It's not a store I have been to, but I get their mailer 'cause it's meant to be a great store. (Maybe Clinton can fill me in.) The mailer was almost word-for-word. I deleted it.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:52 pm

I figured I'd give this thread a bump.
Got to taste the white (The Violinist) and the Shiraz blend (Two Left Feet) today and must say they make an excellent Alcohol Delivery Device (ADD)with the violin weighing in at a modest 15% alcohol. Actually there waasn't much heat in the nose or up front, but boy oh boy did it kick in on the backend. The points guy rated this 92 so I'm sure we'll sell our modest allotment quickly.
The Lefty stuff was all about up front fruit in the Sparky style with the 16% alcohol reminding me more than a little bit of cheap port. Some might call it spoofed. Certainly not my style, but with the pointy guy assigning it 95 points, I'm sure we'll unload what we have at the 19.99 price. Heck that is less than $0.20/point. :)

Disclaimer: I sell these wines to people
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:02 pm

Redwinger wrote:
Disclaimer: I sell these wines to people

Slight correction: shouldn't it read "I sell these wines to point-chasing people" :lol:
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:21 pm

Just out of curiosity. Do the retailers out there put wines like these in the Australian section, or with the dessert wines? :lol:

Prost!
Bill