The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Aaaagh shucks, you`re making me blush!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Aaaagh shucks, you`re making me blush!!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:18 am

The other evening, I helped host a Rose tasting at a local store here in Edmonton. The group of 30 included 27 ladies so I had a very enjoyable evening eventhough some general chatter was evident and a bit of a distraction!!

WTN: "We"ll make you blush" tasting.

`05 Nekeas Vega Sindoa Rose (Navarra).

An even mix of cab sauv and garnacha. Nose was wet stones, earthy and candied. Light pale watery colour, herbal finish and tad hard.Some cassis but I found off balance in the fruit flavours.

`03 Ch. Bellevue La Foret Rose (Cotes du Frontonnais).

Nose was more floral than the Nekeas. Negrette, Grenache and Cinsault. Very light colour, off-dry, some RS. Cinsault softens this one up, but not too popular around the tables.

`03 La Vielle Ferme Rose (Costieres de Nimes).

Unique colour of copper tinge with browning on rim from the Syrah. Finish really lingers, talc mouthfeel and pucker power! Some found some heat here, but I found earthy, minerally flavours with cherry and raspberry. Twist off cap.

`05 Fire Block Dry Rose (Claire V, Australia).

I was anticipating this one!! Bit more expensive at $21 Cdn but real value for the money. Bright ravishing colour (lots of Grenache), aromas of red fruits, cherry, cinnamom. Silky texture and palate of strawberry and raspberry flavours. Fab with the cold cuts! Best wine so far, by a long shot until.....

`05 Hendry Rose (Napa V, Calif).

Big at 13% alc, blend of Primitivo and Zinfandel. Watermelon pink and aromas of strawberry, apricot and grapefruit. Zippy and tad sharp, nice cherry and pink grapefruit, cherry and strawberry. Very unusual but special. Went back after tasting and found dried apricots on the nose. By far the best wine of the evening to me but not all liked this one. Did fly off the shelves after the tasting. Cost was $22 Cdn.

`04 Gray Monk Rotberger Rose (Okanagan, BC).

This grape varietal unique to this winery, will post google search later. Colour was a slight caramel burnish brick. Musky perfume and more dessert style? Blindfolded I would have thought Riesling?!! Cranberry on the palate, good turkey wine was the verdict. I liked the spice and the cherries. Not bad for $15 Cdn, many liked this for its originality.

Wine of the Night was all over the place and that is to be expected with such a diverse number of wines. Fun night!!
Last edited by Bob Parsons Alberta on Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Re: Aaaagh sucks, you`re making me blush!!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:22 am

Rotberger grape varietal, see........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotberger
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:44 am

Bob:

Just wondering, but should your thread title be "Aaaagh shucks", rather than "Aaaagh sucks"??????????????
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:50 am

Gee thanks Bruce!! Did not see that, have edited. Thats what happens after drinking Bolljolly the night before.