The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Could it be that NY...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Could it be that NY...

by Thomas » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:41 pm

is inching ever so much closer to wine in grocery stores?

Starting this Sunday, grocers no longer have to wait until noon to sell beer--they can sell it beginning at 8 am.

What does that have to do with wine in grocery stores? Sets the stage for the rest of the alcohol industry to ask for similar changes in laws.

Strange--ever since Southern Distributors enetered NY State the Liquor Authority has been loosening regulations that could be leveling the beer/wine playing field.

Speculation's all I have--but looks like a big maybe.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Could it be that NY...

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:04 pm

Thomas wrote:is inching ever so much closer to wine in grocery stores?

Thomas, I can't speculate about the trend here, other than to note that the beer and wine/liquor industries are traditionally implacable foes, and anything that beer gets doesn't necessarily imply that wine/liquor will.

I've always been puzzled, though, about how a Sunday closing law, much less a Sunday-<i>morning</I> closing law, can possibly withstand constitutional scrutiny. Anyone who thinks it has nothing to do with the hours of traditional Christian church services has just got to be kidding.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:05 pm

Thomas wrote:Starting this Sunday, grocers no longer have to wait until noon to sell beer--they can sell it beginning at 8 am.

GREAT!! Now I can pick up that 6 pack of Genny Cream before going to church! 8)
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:54 pm

Howie Hart wrote:
Thomas wrote:Starting this Sunday, grocers no longer have to wait until noon to sell beer--they can sell it beginning at 8 am.

GREAT!! Now I can pick up that 6 pack of Genny Cream before going to church! 8)

Especially if your church ain't air conditioned...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:02 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Thomas wrote:is inching ever so much closer to wine in grocery stores?

Thomas, I can't speculate about the trend here, other than to note that the beer and wine/liquor industries are traditionally implacable foes, and anything that beer gets doesn't necessarily imply that wine/liquor will.

I've always been puzzled, though, about how a Sunday closing law, much less a Sunday-<i>morning</I> closing law, can possibly withstand constitutional scrutiny. Anyone who thinks it has nothing to do with the hours of traditional Christian church services has just got to be kidding.

Robin,

I don't see beer and wine wholesalers working together, but I do see a trend toward slackening the regs. Beer has had the grocery concession, and if things are made easier for beer, then wine will be able to make a stronger case.

Maybe I am reading too much into it all, but I know there are interests in the state wanting to make it happen, and in order for it to happen it will take some of the powerful in the industry to get it done.

If you want to get the feel of the 14th century, just spend a day at the NY Liquor Control Board offices. It comes complete with inquisitors, racks, and extortion.
Thomas P