The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine State by State

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

kdibble

Rank

Cellar rat

Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:19 am

PA

Wine State by State

by kdibble » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:49 am

My wife ask a great question last night.
Is there one web site that shows wine production state by state, and tells what varieties are best in each regaion?
Well I looked around but did not find a site like this.
Anyone got any suggestions?
Thanks
kd
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Wine State by State

by Howie Hart » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:31 am

In the following thread, started last week, is info about wine production by state:
http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/vil ... php?t=2435
As far as best varieties by region, this is a very subjective question and could lead to some name calling. :shock:
However, IMHO, my general rule of thumb is that CA makes great reds, but the East Coast makes better whites. Some varieties have been successful in a specific region, and have been identified with those regions, such as Finger Lakes Riesling, Oregon Pinot Noir, Napa Cabernet Sauvignon.
no avatar
User

kdibble

Rank

Cellar rat

Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:19 am

PA

by kdibble » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:14 am

Howie,

That thread is actually about consumption, but interesting just the same. But you sort of hit the nail on the head when you said:

Some varieties have been successful in a specific region, and have been identified with those regions, such as Finger Lakes Riesling, Oregon Pinot Noir, Napa Cabernet Sauvignon

This was almost exactly what I had said that generated my wife's question. She wanted to know what varieties were well thought of in our new home state of PA, and old home states of Ct and Co.

Thanks for the help
kd
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:49 am

KD, one of the great enjoyments of wine is to go to the various state websites and see what folks like to grow in the state. In Pennsylvania, for example, the "roster of award-winning Pennsylvania varietals includes: Cabernet Sauvignon, Catawba, Cayuga, Chambourcin, Chardonnay, Gewurztraminer, Pinot Gris, Pinot Noir, Reisling, Seyval Blanc, Vidal Blanc, Vignoles - and, yes, even wine made in the Champagne manner!"

http://www.pennsylvaniawine.com/

Of course, Pennsylvania is a very large state, and some grapes might well do better in one area than another. And, home winemakers make some excellent wines in Pennsylvania.

Connecticut has a good site at http://www.ctwine.com/

and Colorado has one at http://www.coloradowine.com/

Enjoy exploring!

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:49 am

Sorry about the confusion wrt production vs consumption. I don't have the wine production data available, but I'm sure someone will chime in. Keep in mind that grape production and wine production are not equivalent, as a large portion of grapes grown in New York State go into Welch's juice and jelly. As far as the states you mention, the only part of PA I'm familiar with is the Northwest corner of the state, which is in the Lake Erie Grape Belt that stretches from south of Buffalo almost to Cleveland. Two wineries in PA from that area I'm familiar with are Presque Isle and Mazza Vineyards. The only wine I ever heard of from CT is a late harvest, botrycized Vignoles dessert wine that Andrea Immer featured on one of her TV shows. I know nothing about CO.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:33 pm

I'm sure there are state rankings in terms of wine produced, acres under grapes, and I think also wine consumption (but not percapita). I believe Michigan ranks 13th or thereabouts in wine production, 9th in acres devoted, or some such thing. Our best are, IMHO, white vinefera - Riesling particularly, though some think our Chard and Gewurztraminer are right up there too. I get blasted for this by instate people, but I think we do whites much better than we do reds. Now, Jim Lester could erase that view by sending me a bottle of his bordeaux blend from Wyncroft.
-OW