The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Taking a trip to NY Finger Lakes/Niagara Falls

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

kdibble

Rank

Cellar rat

Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:19 am

PA

Taking a trip to NY Finger Lakes/Niagara Falls

by kdibble » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:19 pm

Hello,

My wife and I are taking a trip to the Finger Lakes / Niagara Falls area this Sept. We are wondering if anyone has suggestions on Wineries to visit or to stay away from (send those private mail if you wish). We plan to go to one or two Ontario Wineries too to pick up some Ice Wine, which I hear they make very well up there, so any suggestions on Ontario wineries near Niagara would be helpful too.
Oh, and we are on a budget...

Thanks in advance
K&K
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: Taking a trip to NY Finger Lakes/Niagara Falls

by Peter May » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:28 pm

You might to look at two travel reports of mine

- Finger Lakes - http://www.wineloverspage.com/reports/ny2003.phtml

- Niagara, Ontario - http://www.winelabels.org/ontario.htm
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:53 pm

the closest wineries to the falls are ch. des charmes and coyote's run; and they are night and day different; but good in their own ways. however, you shouldn't be in the area without spending some time in niagara on the lake - voted the prettiest town in canada. it is home to the shaw festival - so if you like professional theatre, this too is a must do. i recommend you see 'the heiress'. if you do get to notl, you will pass inniskillin winery; which i recommend highly. for geeks they often have stuff open that isn't on the menu. for food on a budget, try stone road grill.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:46 pm

Last we we had our first NiagaraCOOL and toured 3 wineries on the Niagara Ontario region. Here is alink to PaulB's notes from that visit.
http://www.wineloverspage.com/user_subm ... 58036.html
I agree with creightond and highly recommend Chateau Des Charmes, in addition to Stratus (a bit more pricey, but..), both of which we visited for NiagaraCOOL '05. I also highly recommend Flat Rock, which is located in Jordan, about a 20 minute drive from Ch. des Charmes. Inniskillen makes some excellent ice wines. Also, while on the USA side of the border, you have to get some true "Buffalo" chicken wings. :P
no avatar
User

kdibble

Rank

Cellar rat

Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:19 am

PA

by kdibble » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:14 pm

Thanks for the tips so far.

As for the wings... I was planning a (return) trip to Duff's. I like theirs a lot! I have been to the area a bit. Also plan to have a roast beef on kimiwick but have not planned a place for that yet.

kd
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

by Ed Draves » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:11 am

The Duffs in Orchard Park or Tonawanda?
In the Finger Lakes there is a concentration of great wineries on SE Seneca Lake: Atwater, Chateau LaFayette Reneau, Wagner, Red Newt, Lamoreaux Landing, Standing Stone (say hi to Jim, very knowledgable on Finger Lake wines and a great guy) and Silver Springs.
Very close to the Falls on the American side is Warm Lake Estates- they make a "World Class Pinot Noir"
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:17 am

You can spend a whole lot of time driving from A to B in the Finger Lakes. Seneca alone is about 40 miles long, so going from one side to the other can take quite awhile. They keep talking about a bridge from the east side of Cayuga clear across to Bristol on Canandaigua, but the damn environmentalists won't let 'em. That said, here's a very personal list of wineries from which to pick and choose on each of the lakes.

Cayuga
Treleaven on the east side for their award - winning Riesling. On the west side I like Hosmer, they keep winning Governer's Cups, and Goose Watch for their their unusual varietals. If you do get to the west side stop in and say hello. We're in the phone book.

Seneca
The ones Ed mentioned on the east side. Over on the west, try Hickory Hollow for their Highland Cellars wines. They might have rooms for rent now too. I know they were planning to build.

Keuka
On the east side there are McGregor (Muscat Ottonel), Ravines for Riesling, and Keuka Springs. On the west side, everyone must make the pilgrimage at least once in a lifetime to Frank's (Vinfera Wine Cellars). If you want to see McMansion architecture stop in at Heron Hill (they make some nice wines too).

Canandaigua
Arbor Hill on the west side for Traminette and Vergennes, if any of the latter is left. I picked up a case recently ($8 /bottle less case discount) and they cried to see it go out the door.
Last edited by Dan Smothergill on Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:28 am

Posted this a couple of years ago: http://www.wineloverspage.com/user_subm ... 41208.html

On most recent trip we additionally enjoyed Atwater on Senaca-Southeast and Knapp on Cayuga-Northwest.

In addition to the best American Rieslings, we also like the nice variety of oak free Chardonnays, Champagne style sparklers, and Franc upfront Meritages found in the Finger Lakes Region.
no avatar
User

Steve Guattery

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:36 am

Central Pennsylvania

by Steve Guattery » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:51 pm

The advice you've gotten on wineries has been good, but I thought I'd add a couple of comments given that you mentioned ice wine. Earlier this month one of my brothers and I made a trip over to the east side of Seneca to go to Dano's Heuriger (the food was good, the desserts outstanding - rhubarb apple strudel, mmmm). We stopped at a few wineries along the way. The standout wine of the day was Standing Stone's Vidal Ice 2004, which had just the right amount of acidity to balance the sweetness in a way that made it very lively. It's a freezer wine, not a real icewine, and the winery is upfront about this. Well worth trying.

I also liked the Silver Thread 2005 Riesling. I haven't really liked their whites in the past, but this takes a good step towards converting me. Silver Thread is also on the east side of Seneca, not far from Standing Stone.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:09 pm

We had heard good things about the Standing Stones Vidal Ice too. However on our trip last May we found out that they were closed on Wednesdays!!! So beware. We did go next store and picked up Wagner's Vidal Ice which we had before, and enjoyed it.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:47 pm

On the subject of sweeties, the Ch. Des Charmes Late Harvest Riesling, which was included in the NiagaraCOOL '06 Riesling Taste-Off, was very good and less expensive than most of the ice wines.
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:32 pm

Steve wrote:
The standout wine of the day was Standing Stone's Vidal Ice 2004

I agree. I stopped there in February for something and before I left they said I had to try the Vidal Ice Wine. It was so good that I splurged and bought a bottle.