The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

NY State wine shop fined $10K for selling wine gift bags

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

NY State wine shop fined $10K for selling wine gift bags

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:10 pm

I've heard about NY State having some wacky liquor laws, but this case reeks not only of foolish laws but punitive enforcement.

Liquor Store fined $10,000 for selling wine gift bags
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

GoodGrief, Robin....

by TomHill » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:22 pm

In NewYorkState, wine gift bags are only allowed to be sold by specially licensed, by the State, wine gift bag shops. If they allowed every Tom, Dick, & Harry shop to sell wine gift bags...think of all the small Mom&Pop wine gift bags shops that would be driven out of business. :-)
Tom
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: NY State wine shop fined $10K for selling wine gift bags

by Redwinger » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:24 pm

It's to protect the children. :wink:
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:54 pm

When wine gift bag sales becomes a crime, only criminals will sell wine gift bags.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:12 pm

That, as my daughter would put it, is "outright outrageous". Of course she would not say "outright", it would be a bit more harsh. Whatever, that is ridiculous!!!!!!!!
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:08 pm

Outrageous? Ridiculous? Stupid?

Yep, all of the above.

What it isn't? Unusual.

That has always been the law in New York. There are ridiculous laws everywhere, though.

In Arkansas, when I worked there, a retail beverage store could not sell glassware or, technically, corkscrews and such stuff.

In Texas, if you weren't a resident of the state, you could not get a license to open a store.

Until just recently, in North Carolina retail you could buy 750ml and 1.75ml bottles of spirits----but in a bar or club, if you order a mixed drink or cocktail, it had to be served from a 50ml miniature bottle! (I am not making this stuff up.)

In many states that allow independent retailers of alcohol beverage, they limit store licenses to one per person, or one per family, or three per family.

Some states have blue laws, with varying shades of interpretation of what can be sold and when. Some states have county-by-county wet/dry laws. Some have district-by-district. Many (most?) have such punitive tax codes---the sin tax--- that if you applied them to anything non-alcoholic, the public would rise up in furious protest.

All vestiges of the deal that Roosevelt had to make with the states to get them to repeal prohibition. And we're still living with them.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:52 pm

Hoke wrote:Until just recently, in North Carolina retail you could buy 750ml and 1.75ml bottles of spirits----but in a bar or club, if you order a mixed drink or cocktail, it had to be served from a 50ml miniature bottle! (I am not making this stuff up.)

Good rant, but actually wrong Carolina.

There's a followup story that indicates that the fine won't be anywhere close to $10K
Still stupid (most stores in NY sell these bags, some even have on websites)
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:54 am

Yeah, I get them confused.

I always divide everything up the real way: it's either Tidewater or Hill Country. :D
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:11 am

I once heard that there was a county in Texas where it was not legal for a driver to be holding an open container of alcohol, although the passenger could be holding two. Now that's thinking.
no avatar
User

Shlomo R

Rank

Just got here

Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:49 am

by Shlomo R » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:21 am

I find it rather odd that in New York State, you cannot sell beer in the same store as wine and liquor. Beer gets sold by stores selling soda. Anyone care to propose a theory on the logic behind that?
https://www.bike4chai.com/SolomonRosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again for the 5th time in 2016!
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:32 am

fined $10,000 for selling wine gift bags

WTF?

I suppose I could see the logic in a stationery store not selling wine ... but .... ?

Matilda
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:39 am

Crazy stuff!

But then in NZ supermarkets can sell wine and beer but not spirits, even though the liquor store right next to the supermarket's front door can sell beer, wine and/or spirits. Both can sell wine gift bags if they so choose.
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:47 am

Shlomo R wrote:I find it rather odd that in New York State, you cannot sell beer in the same store as wine and liquor. Beer gets sold by stores selling soda. Anyone care to propose a theory on the logic behind that?

Perhaps they copied Tennessee.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:11 am

Shlomo R wrote:I find it rather odd that in New York State, you cannot sell beer in the same store as wine and liquor. Beer gets sold by stores selling soda. Anyone care to propose a theory on the logic behind that?

This is true in many states, and it has little to do with public policy. The beer distributors have a monopoly and pay well to keep it that way; the argument, I guess, is that beer is lower in alcohol and thus can be safely sold in places less controlled than liquor stores.

(Interestingly, in Kentucky one can buy beer but not wine or liquor at a grocery store, but liquor may be sold at pharmacies.) Grocers can also work around this law, at some expense, by building a wine shop in the same building but with a separate entrance so you have to go out of the grocery and go back in to the wine shop. Go figure.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:12 am

Shlomo R wrote: Beer gets sold by stores selling soda. Anyone care to propose a theory on the logic behind that?

Uh...anything fizzy goes?

Glad to see Canada is not alone in having decidedly odd liquor laws.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:18 pm

Typical. New York State gets you coming and going. Because of this Rochester store being fined, a Syracuse store was proactive and took those items out of their store proactively just days before Christmas. Apparently, this law was always on the books, but it's up to the enforecement authorities how much they wan't to pursue it.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:25 pm

As noted, the fine won't be $10K:
http://tinyurl.com/8onbwe
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

by Mike B. » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:00 pm

If headshops can get around paraphenalia laws by claiming their pipes are for tobacco only, perhaps this store can claim the bags are for soda or de-alcoholized wine. ;)

Here in the supposedly free-market driven Alberta, my favourite wine store has just been informed they can no longer carry Coppola's Sofia blanc de blanc in cans because the 187 mL size is an odd number. For some reason, odd numbers for wine are verboten for retailers, but allowed in a restaurant or bar.

And to point out the inconsistency in the rules, a bottle of beer is 341mL.
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:10 am

Mike B. wrote:Here in the supposedly free-market driven Alberta, my favourite wine store has just been informed they can no longer carry Coppola's Sofia blanc de blanc in cans because the 187 mL size is an odd number. For some reason, odd numbers for wine are verboten for retailers, but allowed in a restaurant or bar.

And to point out the inconsistency in the rules, a bottle of beer is 341mL.

Arrgghh, my head hurts! Who in their right mind would MAKE laws like this? :roll:
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:08 am

Mike B. wrote:they can no longer carry Coppola's Sofia blanc de blanc in cans because the 187 mL size is an odd number. For some reason, odd numbers for wine are verboten for retailers, but allowed in a restaurant or bar.

Arithmetic is not my strong point, but isn't 75cl an odd number? And if they use ml instead of cl, then what about half bottles of 375ml?
no avatar
User

Gail Reynolds

Rank

Cellar rat

Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:48 am

by Gail Reynolds » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:46 am

I know we have some STUPID laws on the books here in Okla, but this one really tops all of them for stupid. And to not even give the guy a warning before slapping him with such a fine is as stupid as the law.
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

by Mike B. » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:34 am

Peter May wrote:Arithmetic is not my strong point, but isn't 75cl an odd number? And if they use ml instead of cl, then what about half bottles of 375ml?

Hmmm, good point. Maybe I misunderstood the meaning of odd. Perhaps my friend meant unusual. Still, it's a ridiculous law.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:38 am

I think some states have specifically allowed sizes.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:21 pm

I'm sure odd means "not standardly defined." Generally in US that means 187ml, 375, 750, 1L, 1.5, 3. etc I've heard tale of Jura wines having problems getting approved/imported because they were 620ml, etc. Though I just bought a Gaillac that is 730ml.

This is getting some publicity, so my guess is they will add gift bags to the list of permitted wine accessories that can be sold in licensed retailers (along with stemware, corkscrews, wine books, etc). In NY retailers are not allowed to sell anythng else (no lotto, cigarettes, food, etc).

The title maybe should be edited, as it's clear that there has been no $10K fine.
Next