The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Novice seeks help...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Novice seeks help...

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:35 pm

James Roscoe wrote:
TimMc wrote:Just don't buy screw capped wine.

At least if it's in a big jug and says Gallo across the front of it. Of course if you like it, go for it. I say, buy what you like!

Exactly James. I think we need to be careful here, many folks are still sorting out the screwcap issue. Myself, I have no problem with screwcaps so dont worry Kristen!!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:05 am

Victor, that's an elegantly succinct little list. Bravo.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Art Morris

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:53 am

West Virginia

by Art Morris » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:56 pm

Hi Kristen:

Welcome to the forum and to the wine experience! I, too, am a rookie, having become interested in wine just about a year ago. The previous posts have given you some wonderful tips. I can add a couple of things that have helped me dramatically in my adventure.

*Start your own tasting notes-( for the present, don't be too
concerned with the proper verbage)When you taste a new wine
simply jot down the name, varietal, vintage, etc. What do you
like/not like about ? Would you buy it again ? You can devise
a basic rating system of your own. (A-B-C-D or 1 - 5 stars.)
This will help you see how various wines stack-up according to
YOUR tastes, which is what really matters !

*Purchase and sample as many wines as your budget allows,but
try to avoid the urge to "load-up" on those you like. Your tastes
will likely evolve over time, and you won't want a glut of wines
you no longer care for. (speaking from experience on this. :(

*Most of all- ENJOY ! Don't be intimidated. We've embarked upon
a lifetime adventure and it's all about the journey !

CHEERS ! :D

Art
We're not here for a long time,
we're here for a GOOD time !
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:59 pm

Art, Welcome to our little group. You have given excellent advice. Pull up your stool and stick around.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:05 pm

Great list Victor -- is this the book and authors you are quoting?

http://www.westsidewine.com/meet.html

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:03 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:
TimMc wrote:Just don't buy screw capped wine.

At least if it's in a big jug and says Gallo across the front of it. Of course if you like it, go for it. I say, buy what you like!

Exactly James. I think we need to be careful here, many folks are still sorting out the screwcap issue. Myself, I have no problem with screwcaps so dont worry Kristen!!

I was just joshing around and James is right, er....about wine, not necessarily about the enclosure :wink:

In all seriousness, Kristen, the best advice has already been mentioned by James: Drink what you like. That's the key. Don't worry about what wine is "supposed" to go with which meal....if you don't like what's in your glass you aren't going to enjoy the experience.

Also, if you ever have the opportunity, go visit some wineries and ask questions about what you are tasting. That's the way I learned about wine. And don't be afraid to try new varietals.

TBH, a lot of what I know about wine was had through a years long experiment in hit-and-miss wine selection. Eventually, your palate will change and what your tastebuds once were satisfied with will evolve into different wines with different qualities. As an example, I love big, bold, chewy reds but they may be too strong or too dry for your personal tastes. That's an OK thing, really. All that means is I have just been at this wine "thing" longer than maybe you have...it certainly does not make you an inadequate person.

A bit of sage advice: If you cook with wine, never cook with a wine you wouldn't drink yourself. The dish deserves [and your tastebuds do, too] the same wine you will serve at the table. Trust me on this one.

Bottom line? Have fun with it and don't be concerned if you like chardonnay with your tri-tip....drink what you like.
no avatar
User

Kristen R

Rank

Just got here

Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:39 am

Long Island, NY

by Kristen R » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:42 am

Hi Everyone:

Well thank you all so much for all of your replies. They have been very informative and helpful to me as I begin to delve into this new world.
I won't bug you guys too much with questions.

I would say, and I certainly don't mean to come across snobby or anything, but I have had a very fortunate wine experience so far. For me, my "eye-opening" experience was last year at Bouley Restaurant. My fiance and I were involved in a lengthy, late-night, tasting and found ourselves dining right next to David Bouley and his guests. David was kind enough to send us over a couple of glasses from the wine his dinner party was drinking. The sommelier came over to tell us it was from his private collection. Now of course, being the rookie that I am, I can't tell you what it was. Well a cabernet, but thats all I have. In either case, it was that moment I knew I wanted to learn more.

Again, thank you for all of your replies, I appreciate all of your willingness to help!! What a nice group!! I look forward to asking questions and speaking with all soon.

Enjoy!

Kristen
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:37 am

Don't worry about appearing snobby here, Kristen. People on this site love to share stories about their dining experiences in tiny holes in the wall and the finest restaurants. That was a very gracious gesture by David Bouley -- and his restaurants have long been favorites of mine -- in each of their iterations.

Welcome to the forum.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:37 am

Kristen,
It sounds like you may be a step up from a rookie. Don't sell yourself short. Have fun. That's what wine is all about!
Cheers!
James
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:21 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Kristen,
It sounds like you may be a step up from a rookie. Don't sell yourself short. Have fun. That's what wine is all about!
Cheers!
James

Exactly.
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:14 pm

Don't worry about being a snob, or seeming snobbish. there's a certain amount of that here, as everywhere. Not that anyone will admit to it! After all, we have good reasons for our opinions, not like all those other, um, snobs...
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:23 pm

Isaac wrote:Don't worry about being a snob, or seeming snobbish. there's a certain amount of that here, as everywhere. Not that anyone will admit to it! After all, we have good reasons for our opinions, not like all those other, um, snobs...

Names!
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:09 pm

Sure is Bob. The “Wine Guy” can be nicely complimented by reading Mary E Mulligan and Ed McCarthy’s “Wine Style: Using your Senses to Explore and Enjoy Wine”.

Salute
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:53 pm

Thanks, Victor. Nice addition to the WLP Library. :-)
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:29 pm

Kristen,

Taste lots of different stuff, from lots of different places. Right out of the gate I made the mistake of assuming that sweet Rieslings were the only wines that I would ever like. I bought a bunch of them. Guess what? I tried other wine and found that there was a great big wine world out there. I was stuck with lots of sweet Riesling that no longer suited my palate (note that I still do love Riesling, just in a less cloying style). I suggest lots of experimentation. It can be interesting, and fun to discover what wines you don't like.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
Previous