WTN: Rioja and What is your Favorite steak wine?

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Re: WTN: Rioja and What is your Favorite steak wine?

Postby Tom N. » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:36 am

Bob Noland wrote:Tom, One of my favorite matches with steak recently was actually a Piedmonte Nebbiolo with a nearly 2 inch thick steak cooked in a fireplace at a great little place up the mountain from Arenzano in Italy. Normally I would probably follow the general rule of Cal Cab, Zin, or a hearty PN but you know I like to break all the traditional rules :wink:

Hi Bob,

Yeah, I know. Like the time had 3 ... well nevermind. I can definitely see nebbiolo going with steak. What I have more difficulty seeing is me affording :( a good Barolo with my steak.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
Tom N.
Wine guru

Postby Bob Henrick » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:54 am

Tom N. wrote:Hi Bob,
Yeah, I know. Like the time had 3 ... well nevermind. I can definitely see nebbiolo going with steak. What I have more difficulty seeing is me affording :( a good Barolo with my steak.

Ditto!
Bob Henrick
Bob Henrick
Kamado Kommander

Postby Bob Noland » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:12 pm

Tom N. wrote:
Bob Noland wrote:Tom, One of my favorite matches with steak recently was actually a Piedmonte Nebbiolo with a nearly 2 inch thick steak cooked in a fireplace at a great little place up the mountain from Arenzano in Italy. Normally I would probably follow the general rule of Cal Cab, Zin, or a hearty PN but you know I like to break all the traditional rules :wink:

Hi Bob,

Ahh but good does not mean expensive... The Nebbiolo was not expensive (14 Euro's I believe at the restaurant) but did go so very well with the steak. Maybe it was that olive oil they put on the steak :?:
To do is to be. - Socrates
To be is to do. - Jean-Paul Sartre, Plato
Do-be-do-be-do. Frank Sinatra
Bob Noland
Ultra geek

Postby Tom N. » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:03 pm

Bob Noland wrote:Ahh but good does not mean expensive... The Nebbiolo was not expensive (14 Euro's I believe at the restaurant) but did go so very well with the steak. Maybe it was that olive oil they put on the steak :?:

Hi Bob,

Maybe in Italy they are inexpensive. The cheapest nebbiolo I have ever purchased in Canada was about $20+ CAN. That was not a barolo (langhe, I think) but I did have it with Christmas dinner a few years ago. I just talked to Cody. We are having prime rib roast for Christmas dinner. I mentioned old world cab or barolo as a possible match and he said YES! Barolo :D . So, I am pulling one of my two barolos from my wine fridge for Christmas dinner. A 2000 barolo. What are you opening up for Christmas dinner?
Tom Noland
Tom N.
Wine guru

Postby Bob Noland » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:52 pm

Tom N. wrote:
Bob Noland wrote: So, I am pulling one of my two barolos from my wine fridge for Christmas dinner. A 2000 barolo. What are you opening up for Christmas dinner?

Interesting question, we normally do have steak so I will have to see what is lurking in the cellar begging to be opened :wink:
To do is to be. - Socrates
To be is to do. - Jean-Paul Sartre, Plato
Do-be-do-be-do. Frank Sinatra
Bob Noland
Ultra geek

Postby MikeH » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:48 pm

Like Mark L and a few others here, I prefer a steak prepared medium rare, usually a ribeye, sometimes a strip. With the higher fat content in these cuts, I am looking for a tannic red. CalCab, young Bordeaux, syrah, Rhone are the usual suspects.

Steak with any pinot noir sounds like a waste to me....the wine is often low tannin and too light to stand up to a grilled ribeye. Some zins may have enough tannin but I usually reserve the zins for BBQ.

When it comes to lower fat beef such as tenderloin, pinot noir becomes an option as does older Bordeaux. But a lot of the cab sauv wines are still in play as well.
Cheers!
Mike
MikeH
Wine guru

Postby Dale Williams » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:16 pm

MikeH wrote:Steak with any pinot noir sounds like a waste to me....the wine is often low tannin and too light to stand up to a grilled ribeye..

I don't drink much domestic PN (so can't comment), but I don't think one is likely to find a shortage of tannins in young NSG, Gevrey, or Corton from a hefty vintage. Lots of Burgundian restaurants serve the locally ubiquitous Charolais, I doubt you see many people wishing they could have a CS based wine. As noted, I generally look to young CalCab or Bordeaux. But most young vigorous reds with tannins can do fine.
Dale Williams
Compassionate Connoisseur

Postby Tom N. » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:06 am

MikeH wrote:Like Mark L and a few others here, I prefer a steak prepared medium rare, usually a ribeye, sometimes a strip. With the higher fat content in these cuts, I am looking for a tannic red. CalCab, young Bordeaux, syrah, Rhone are the usual suspects.

Steak with any pinot noir sounds like a waste to me....the wine is often low tannin and too light to stand up to a grilled ribeye. Some zins may have enough tannin but I usually reserve the zins for BBQ.

When it comes to lower fat beef such as tenderloin, pinot noir becomes an option as does older Bordeaux. But a lot of the cab sauv wines are still in play as well.

Hi Mike,

I tend to agree with you on this one, pinot with lower fat steak. A topnotch burg might have enough tannin to go with a high fat steak but it might not. What do you think of a barolo with a high fat steak like rib or ribeye?
Tom Noland
Tom N.
Wine guru

Postby Steve Kirsch » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:36 am

Tonight my steak wine was a 1998 Ch. Fortia Chateauneuf-du-Pape with grilled ribeyes. Plenty of aromatic complexity, medium+ bodied, and still enough structure to stand up to the fat. A good combination.
Steve Kirsch
Ultra geek

Postby Tom N. » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:17 am

Steve Kirsch wrote:Tonight my steak wine was a 1998 Ch. Fortia Chateauneuf-du-Pape with grilled ribeyes. Plenty of aromatic complexity, medium+ bodied, and still enough structure to stand up to the fat. A good combination.

Hi Steve,

CdP with steak sounds like a fine match to me. I just love GSMs and think they go well with steak or any type of hearty red meat. I like them with grilled steaks and ribs also.
Tom Noland
Tom N.
Wine guru

Previous

Return to The Wine Forum