The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Macon Whoopie

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

WTN: Macon Whoopie

by Bruce K » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:24 am

Chateau de la Tour de l’Ange 2004 Macon Superieur, $10
Until I found this bottle in the store, I didn’t know they made any reds in Macon. I assume this is from Gamay and it tastes like a good basic Beaujolais. There are lots of cherries, strawberries, roses and minerals on the nose. On the palate, there is tart strawberry and cherry, accented by some earth and minerals. It has no beetiness, which I like as this is the one aspect of some Bojos that I find objectionable. It’s simple but quite pleasant overall, light-bodied, and has good acidity and some grainy tannins. Very food friendly. Importer: W.J. Deutsch and Sons, an Alfio Moriconi Selection.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: WTN: Macon Whoopie

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:03 am

Bruce K wrote:I assume this is from Gamay

Good call, Bruce! Macon can grow Pinot Noir, too, but when they use it in a red, it's normally labeled Bourgogne Rouge. (And in the trivia department, when they blend Pinot and Gamay, the label will read "Bourgogne Passetoutgrains.")

In Macon, Georgia, on the other hand, the local wine is usually Muscadine. ;-)

(That's to pay you back for your great pun in the title ... )
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:22 am

Macon can grow Pinot Noir, too, but when they use it in a red, it's normally labeled Bourgogne Rouge. (And in the trivia department, when they blend Pinot and Gamay, the label will read "Bourgogne Passetoutgrains.")

Thanks -- that's interesting and useful information. I knew about Passetoutgrains (I still have a few bottles left of the great 2002 Chevillon), but I didn't know the grapes for these wines -- or wines labeled Bourgogne rouge -- could come from Macon. When I bought this bottle, I also picked up a bottle of the same producer's 2004 Bourgogne on a lark, since it was just $12; sounds like a good bet this is also from Maconnais grapes.

In Macon, Georgia, on the other hand, the local wine is usually Muscadine.

I thought that was from the Loire. :shock:
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:27 am

Talking about Bourgogne, look out for the `04 Patrick Rion B Rouge. Monster Pinot!! $24.00 Cdn however.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:03 am

Bob, had the Rion 02 just last week. Was $25 U.S. For once, you quote a lower price in Canadian!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov