The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: wines in HOT Sacramento

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

TN: wines in HOT Sacramento

by Dale Williams » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:33 pm

Fun days in Sacramento, with temps of 111F the day I arrived! That night we went to thr Rio Cafe, where I had chicken breast with a glass of 2004 Wente Riesling. Medium-sweet, could use more acidity and Riesling character. Sweet pear and apple fruit, a little empty. B-/C+

Betsy had ribs and a glass of the 2003 7 Deadly Zins. Pretty decent example of hot (Lodi) Zin. Big jammy kirsch fruit, a little vanilla. Not exactly my ideal of hot weather wine, but ok in the AC. B

Monday I had no wine. We attended a River Cats (minor league baseball) game, in the heat one glass of beer was more than enough for me, I stuck with water after that.

Tuesday we met Betsy's cousin and her husband at 55 Degrees in downtown Sacramento. Appetizers were quite good, especially my sweetbreads and Roseanne's corn custard with morels and favas (Betsy's crabcakes and Roger's buffalo mozzarella were also successful). Opening wine was the 2005 Saracco Moscato d'Asti. Moderate sweetness, light petillance with good sweet pear fruit, a hint of biscuit yeast, but a bit short. B

While Roseanne's mussels and Roger's halibut were quite good, both my steak (ordered rare) and Betsy's duck breast (ordered medium-rare) were a bit too done. Good though, with excellent frites. We had a bottle of the 2004 Au Bon Climat "La Bauge au Dessus"Pinot Noir. Rich red plum and raspberry fruit, but a little heavy on the wood. It also seems a tad hot, but label says a reasonable 13.5%. I've liked ABC wines in the past, and this is a reasonable $36, but I can't say I'm enthralled. B/B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.  
no avatar
User

TimMc

Re: TN: wines in HOT Sacramento

by TimMc » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:57 pm

My advice?

Head to Old Town Saramento and go downstairs to the outdoor patio at Fulton's....they have indoor seating as well.

There you will find Old Town ambience with an extensive wine list and a first class menu.

Fulton's
900 Second Street
(916) 444-9641

Lunch or dinner....you won't regret it.

Then there's always River City Brewing Company....just a couple blocks away [take the tunnel under the I-5 from Old Town] for great micro-brews and a jambalaya that'll flat knock your socks off. :)

I recommend the Woodenhead Ale.

River City Brewing Company
545 Downtown Plaza Mall
(916) 447-2739

BTW...the California State Railroad Museum is kinda cool, too.
no avatar
User

TimMc

Re: TN: wines in HOT Sacramento

by TimMc » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:15 am

FWIW....triple digit weather is the norm around these parts during the summer.