The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine and food tips in Rome?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

Wine and food tips in Rome?

by Anders Källberg » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:26 pm

Hi friends,

I'll be in Rome for two days next week and since I have two afternoons and evenings off, I would be most grateful for tips about good and interesting places for wine and food, both for buying and consuming at the spot. My hotel is near the Pantheon.
Thanks,
Anders
no avatar
User

Mike_F

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:56 pm

Rehovot, Israel

Re: Wine and food tips in Rome?

by Mike_F » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:47 pm

See viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10672&p=144147&hilit=Rome#p144147

A very fine tratorria with extensive and fairly priced wine list- Da Luigi. http://www.trattoriadaluigi.com

Another highly recommended place is Fiaschetteria Beltramme, Via della Croce 39, 00187 Roma. The place is listed as a historical building, the trattoria dates back 160 years, with walls covered with paintings and caricatures left by artists unable to pay their bills, and a table at which Federico Fellini apparently worked on La Dolce Vita. Excellent simple trattoria dishes, fair prices, no phone so no reservations, a great lunch option when you are sick of the fancy shops in the surrounding district...

If you visit either place, please update if still maintaining standards.

enjoy,

Mike
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:52 pm

Thanks, Mike. Da Luigi sounds like a great place and it is close to my hotel too, IIRC. I'll let you know my experiences if I go there.
Regarding the other place, Beltramme, in fact I know the street well, since when I was at my first visit in Rome in 1988 I visited an enotheca there called Fratelli Roffi Isabelli and were given a most pleasant tasting by an American who worked there, Edward Steinberg. He later wrote a book about Gaja's top wine Sorì San Lorenzo. So the address brings back sweet memories. When I returned to Rome a few years ago, sadly the shop was converted to a bar instead, but when I searched for the name now, I found a very positive review, so perhaps I had better go and have a look for it again.
Cheers,
Anders
no avatar
User

Mike_F

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:56 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Mike_F » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:58 am

Anders - Will look forward to your update. Since I see there are no more replies, maybe a query on a relevant thread on the Chowhound site will get you more information...

Mike
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:53 am

Anders, Hi...

Sorry, but I don't peek in here often so just saw your post. Among my favorites in Rome for dining...

Osteria Il Gladiatore, Piazzale del Colosseo 15 (near the ancient city): Traditional Roman dishes. Reasonable prices. Try to sit outdoors if the weather is good.

La Rosetta: On the small street of the same name. (Not far from the Pantheon). One of the city's most popular and best fish restaurants. Simple, Sicilian food,. Try especially the pasta with sardines grapes or fennel. Be sure to drink the Corvo wine that is served in carafes. Reasonable prices.

L'Orso Ottanta, via dell'Orso 33 (near the Piazza Navona). One of the great antipasto tables in the city, also for pasta dishes and meat courses. Personally, I always feast here on antipasto and then a pizza. Reasonable prices.

Dal Bolognese, piazza del Popolo: Specializes in Bolognese cuisine. Try especially the bollito misto (boiled meats with green parsley sauce, capers and onions). Reasonable prices Reservations suggested. Telephone 679-20-83.

Osteria Marcello, via Aurora 37 (near the Via Veneto): Good food despite being a very "in" restaurant. Try the brasato (pot roast simmered in wine), and any of the pasta-vegetable combinations. Moderate prices.
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:31 pm

Lots of thanks, Rogov. Seems like a bunch of very useful addresses. I'll let you know my impressions if I end up in any of them, maybe already during the chat on Sunday, which I hope I'll be able to join from the eternal city.
Thanks again
Anders
no avatar
User

Richard M

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:55 am

Speyer, Palatinate, Germany

by Richard M » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:45 pm

hm...what about some italian stuff?