FLDG 'Classic' (link to)

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

FLDG 'Classic' (link to)

Postby Jenise » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:00 pm

Many new to WLDG/FLDG are probably confused by the occasional reference to "old FLDG" or what we sometimes call FLDG Classic, our original home on the web. Unfortuantely, we outgrew our old software, and even more unfortunately we couldn't move the recipe and tasting note data bases to new software. But Robin does maintain the old site out there in the ether for reference, and many of us frequently peruse it for recipes that we remember fondly. It's a true treasure trove of recipes and food conversation where even those who never knew it existed will see many familiar faces still with us today.

For anyone curious or in need of "transportation", here's a link:

http://www.myspeakerscorner.com/forum/index.phtml?fn=2
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Re: FLDG 'Classic' (link to)

Postby Carrie L. » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:34 pm

Just checked out the first three pages! What a trip down memory lane! Thanks for posting the link.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (I feel so much better now.)
Carrie L.
Golfball Gourmet

Postby Dave R » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:54 pm

Jenise wrote:Many new to WLDG/FLDG are probably confused by the occasional reference to "old FLDG" or what we sometimes call FLDG Classic, our original home on the web.

Sorry about that and thanks for the polite correction. I was actually trying to be nice by thanking Robin. I should probably keep my big yap shut so I don't say the wrong thing. :oops:
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
Dave R
Wild and Crazy Guy

Postby Jenise » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:18 am

Wasn't correcting you at all, Dave! No such thought in my head--rather, I've thought of doing this before but never got around to doing it. Your post today spurred me to get around to it once and for all, and for that I thank you.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby John Tomasso » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:37 am

wow, I'd almost completely forgotten about that software.
I know a lot of folks struggled with the frames, but I liked it.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
John Tomasso
Too Big to Fail

Postby Mark Lipton » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:09 pm

John Tomasso wrote:wow, I'd almost completely forgotten about that software.
I know a lot of folks struggled with the frames, but I liked it.

Despite the fact that I like threading, I truly detested the old software, to the extent that I rarely participated in the old WLDG/FLDG. This newfangled software isn't perfect, but I'll take it over the old hands-down.

Mark Lipton
Mark Lipton
Oenochemist

Postby John F » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:51 pm

Jenise

Thanks a ton for doing that - I am going to spend hours in there now!!

John
John F
Ultra geek

Postby Bob Henrick » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:26 pm

Jenise wrote:Many new to WLDG/FLDG are probably confused by the occasional reference to "old FLDG" or what we sometimes call FLDG Classic, our original home on the web. Unfortuantely, we outgrew our old software, and even more unfortunately we couldn't move the recipe and tasting note data bases to new software. But Robin does maintain the old site out there in the ether for reference, and many of us frequently peruse it for recipes that we remember fondly. It's a true treasure trove of recipes and food conversation where even those who never knew it existed will see many familiar faces still with us today.

For anyone curious or in need of "transportation", here's a link:

http://www.myspeakerscorner.com/forum/index.phtml?fn=2

Jenise, being a fresh faced newbie, too young to shave, I too appreciate the link to yesteryear.
Bob Henrick
Bob Henrick
Kamado Kommander

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:42 am

I still have the old site on my "Bookmarks Tool Bar". I probably go back there to search something out around once every month or two. It's a heck of a resource.

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair

Postby TraciM » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:34 pm

Gosh....Like John, I really liked that software. I search the 'old FLDG' ALL the time.
TraciM
Ultra geek

Postby Jon Peterson » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:57 pm

I liked it because when my employer cut off internet access to sites with the word wine in them, I was able to still get there by using myspeakerscorner.com.
I just wanted to inform you that I find you to be very attractive. Thank you and have a nice day.
Jon Peterson
The Court Winer

Postby MichaelB » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:31 am

Thanks, Jenise! I've been reading Robin Garr's Wine lovers page for years and used to get the food letter and have used the archives to the food letter but never realized there was a food lovers discussion group! I had no idea that people actually commented on Garr's recipes like the celeriac pancakes and so on. So I've just spent a fascinated hour reading some of the posts. Imagine--trotter recipes WAY different than the ones I ate in Tallahassee. Gotta try 'em. Thanks again!
MichaelB
Ultra geek

Postby Jenise » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:54 pm

MichaelB wrote:Thanks, Jenise! I've been reading Robin Garr's Wine lovers page for years and used to get the food letter and have used the archives to the food letter but never realized there was a food lovers discussion group! I had no idea that people actually commented on Garr's recipes like the celeriac pancakes and so on. So I've just spent a fascinated hour reading some of the posts. Imagine--trotter recipes WAY different than the ones I ate in Tallahassee. Gotta try 'em. Thanks again!

Well now that you know there is a discussion group, I hope you drop by more often. There's always room at our kitchen table for one more.
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Diane (Long Island) » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:15 pm

Jenise - thanks for posting this link.

I finally got around to perusing the recipes from the former site, and came upon the Butternut Squash Lasagne. It looks like something I might want to try tomorrow for a vegetarian friend and his non-veg. wife. Should I follow the recipe as is, or has anyone made the dish with changes or suggestions?
Diane
Diane (Long Island)
Wine guru

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:09 pm

Great, can refer to all the old Rachel Ray links!
I still have her wallpaper hanging up in the corner of one of the horse barns.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Bill Spohn » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:45 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Great, can refer to all the old Rachel Ray links!
I still have her wallpaper hanging up in the corner of one of the horse barns.

I'd have figured that might have frightened the horses.....
Bill Spohn
He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Postby Paul Winalski » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:17 pm

Is Rachel Ray really Frau Blucher??

-Paul W.
Paul Winalski
Wok Wielder

Postby Bill Spohn » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:28 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Is Rachel Ray really Frau Blucher??

-Paul W.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5IWHt4OoNk
Bill Spohn
He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Return to The Forum Kitchen