The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Criminal Jamet

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Criminal Jamet

by Rahsaan » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:36 pm

Drinking the 2004 Jamet Cotes du Rhone which delivers an amazingly pure syrah fix for only 10 or 11euros.

From the moment I opened the bottle it was gorgeous with soft expressive red fruits and smoky bacon, but as it airs it has become deeper and more finely etched, while remaining so damned juicy, mineral, fresh, and FUN!

The essence of a QPR experience.

Strong strong buy.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Re: WTN: Criminal Jamet

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:51 pm

Thank you so much, Rahsaan. I have friend who is a syrah-head. We make it in his garage every year. And I always comment that his syrah has this "smoky bacon" or even "bacon fat" taste which, of course, I mean in quite a complimentary way. He insists that I am crazy. I appreciate your reference to the same. Now he can call us both crazy, but it's good not to be alone.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:04 pm

No problem. But it's not just me, I always thought that was a classic syrah descriptor. Funny that we both arrived at it from different angles.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:12 pm

Well, I make him feel better when we're in company by closing my eyes, giving my head a slight swirl, and pronouncing "du lardon fumé." To be honest, however, I really think it's the oak staves which he's using. What do you expect? We live in Martinez.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:46 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:I have friend who is a syrah-head. We make it in his garage every year. And I always comment that his syrah has this "smoky bacon" or even "bacon fat" taste which, of course, I mean in quite a complimentary way.

Gary, that smoky-bacon taste is exactly what I love about Syrah. Throw in a bit of tar and pepper, and I love it. Of course, I tend to prefer a leaner palate-feel to Syrah, so I haven't traditionally bought a lot of warm-climate/New-World versions (typically the "Shirazes" of the world).

Interestingly, Baco Noir in Ontario very often mimics that same Syrah profile of bacon fat and roasted lard, though it's much zingier in terms of acidity than most French Syrah-based reds.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:43 am

Gary Barlettano wrote:Well, I make him feel better when we're in company by closing my eyes, giving my head a slight swirl, and pronouncing "du lardon fumé." To be honest, however, I really think it's the oak staves which he's using. What do you expect? We live in Martinez.

Tasted a super fine syrah made by Washington state winery Kestrel the other day. First two things I smelled? Violets and bacon.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:14 pm

Jenise wrote:Tasted a super fine syrah made by Washington state winery Kestrel the other day. First two things I smelled? Violets and bacon.

If there are "comfort foods," I imagine there are also "comfort aromas." There's something nice about that smoky bacon smell which draws me to syrah. Sometimes I wonder if that readily recognizable redolence appeals to whatever secret, subliminal wine-geek vanities I might harbor. "Aha, I know what it is so I like it!! Look at me!! I can identify this wine by its smell!!" (I will gladly submit to psychological testing as long as there as the wine samples are adequate.) It's the same thing with zinfandel, sauvignon blanc and pinot noir. Do I like them because I recognize them or do I recognize them because I like them? Odd beasties we human beings are.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:55 pm

Some Burgundies have that bacon fat element also. I've encountered it with some Cote de Nuits St. Georges. I find it very attractive. (Glad I don't have to avoid bacon for religious reasons).