The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Wines with Asian food

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Wines with Asian food

by Jenise » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:44 am

With pork and shrimp dumplings finished with chinese black vinegar and serrano chiles, 2005 Chateau de Segries Tavel. Much as I enjoy rose, Tavels often have a volatile nose and a slightly sherried taste to me, and this was another along that line. Better with the food than alone. (14% alcohol).

With Malaysian Glazed Chicken Wings and a salad of enoki, shitake and celtuce in a white tamari dressing (recipe just posted in The Kitchen), 2005 Negroamaro Salento Rosato. We loved this wine last year but the 05's a disappointment. Underripe fruit struggles to make an impression then fades quickly into a cardboard-flavored finish. Halfway through the glass, I called off the hunt and dumped everyone's glasses, and filled them with this replacement:

2005 Colline Novaresi "Il Mimo" Dry Rose of Nebbiolo. Ah, finally a wine I like. Superbly balanced tangy pomegranite fruit and spicy sandalwood. A joy.

Witha spicy beef penang and a pineapple padh thai with pea leaves, 2003 Gunderloch Nackenheim Rothenberg Spatlese. Young but good--exceptionally complex flavors of lime leaf, pineapple, loquats, candied orange and grapefruit peel, lychee nuts and spice. I know I'm going to get reBueked for having killed an infant, but really David, it was SO good with the food.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: WTN: Wines with Asian food

by John Treder » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:25 pm

Jenise wrote:... the 05's a disappointment. Underripe fruit struggles to make an impression then fades quickly into a cardboard-flavored finish.

Was it perhaps a bit corked?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:06 pm

Nope, definitely not corked, John. We debated between whether to call the flavor cereal or cardboard, then decided empty cereal box was closest, but thinking that sounded too precious I opted for the simple "cardboardy", but it wasn't dank or moldy in anyway, just underripe.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:16 pm

i must be really hungry... the food sounded so much better than the wine!!! Lucky Bob!!
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:43 pm

No problem drinking the 2003s early Jenise. It's an odd vintage, so all bets are of as regard ageability. Plus they seem to be staying open for business rather than shutting down.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:03 pm

Then I'm glad I opened it, David; obviously it was drinking well enough. Strange that it was an 03--I was certain that it was an 02, and in fact it's in my inventory that way. I know the 03s were coming in when I bought these, so one was on the shelf and I didn't realize it.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:18 pm

If we're tralking Thai food...I highly recommend a spicy Riesling or an off-sweet Gewurztraminer.

It pairs well with the curry sauces and garlic in those dishes.

Tom Ka Gai!
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

Gunderloch

by Jay Labrador » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:01 am

Agree with you 100% on the Gunderloch. Pretty awesome stuff and hard not to drink it now.
no avatar
User

J Nolan

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:48 pm

Italy

by J Nolan » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:32 pm

With asian food especially hot and spicy my favorite has to be Ronco Brolio by conte D'attimis. it is a fantastic white made up of Chardonnay and Pinot bianco aged in Slovanian barrels. its a White that i usually treat as a red. Dry to right point. Lov'it
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:40 pm

With the spicy Asian food I often go to a nice GV. I wouldn't have tought about a rose. Are you sure the rosato wasn't off? I'm going to pretend I didn't read that as I have two in the que ready to be drunk. I guess I know why I got them for $7.