Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Zucchini Boats

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

RCP: Zucchini Boats

by Howie Hart » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:27 am

Zucchini Boats (serves eight)

I’ve been making these for over 20 years, but never put the recipe together until yesterday, when I made them for visiting family. Its a great use of those giant zucchinis that your neighbors give you.

4 very large zucchini
3 lb. Italian sausage, casings removed (I used 1 lb. hot, 2 lb. mild)
1 cup white wine (I had Riesling on hand)
6 cloves garlic, chopped fine
1/4 cup EVOO
1 large vadalia onion, cut in thin slivers
4 medium tomatoes, cubed
3 green peppers, cut in thin strips
1 cup grated cheese (I used Romano)
1 lb. mozzarella cheese, shredded

Poke a knife slit in each of the zucchinis and cook in the microwave until soft. Cut in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, thus making the “boats” and place on baking sheet. In a large skillet, cook the sausage with the wine, breaking it up into a coarse mixture, until all the wine evaporates and the sausage starts to brown. In another skillet, sauté the garlic in the EVOO. Stir in the onions and sweat them. When the onions are done, add the tomatoes and cook to reduce the liquid. Stir in the peppers, cover and cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in the grated cheese to thicken and remove from heat. Fill the zucchinis with sausage and top with the peppers, onion and tomato mixture. Bake in a 300 degree oven for 20-30 minutes. Top with mozzarella and place under broiler to slightly brown the mozarella.
Last edited by Howie Hart on Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Zucchini Boats

by Jenise » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:10 am

Those sound good. Did you know that in England, they have a special name for the larger zucchini? They call it a marrow.

Btw, you didn't finish your thought on how many people these will serve. Looks like about 10 to me! Oh, and do you serve these as a main course?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:36 am

Interesting - I didn't preview before I posted, but the "8" follwed by ")" that I pasted in came up as a smiley. I'll edit the original post. I serve this as pretty much the whole meal, accompanied with some good Italian bread and a light red wine (I had my home made Foch-Vidal).
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:14 pm

Sounds great, Howie. What would you use for the sail, though?

I would probably put in some wooden skewers in the middle for masts and thread some fancy napkins through in a triangular shape. It might even be a neat idea to set the boats in a large clear bowl in a bit of water, and set them on the table as a centrepiece. Now there's an idea for NiagaraCool '07!
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:24 pm

Jenise wrote:Those sound good. Did you know that in England, they have a special name for the larger zucchini? They call it a marrow.

Btw, you didn't finish your thought on how many people these will serve. Looks like about 10 to me! Oh, and do you serve these as a main course?

and the usual name for Zucchini here is courgette... is this the french name as well?
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:28 pm

Yes, courgette is both English and French.

Btw, I learned all this first hand--lived in Macclesfield once upon a time.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov