WTN: `04 Viognier, Ch Pesquie.

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: `04 Viognier, Ch Pesquie.

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:48 pm

From the winery that produces the excellent, and under-rated Quintessence, a red Cote du Ventoux.

WTN:`04 Viognier Ch. Pesquie, Vin de Pays Portes de mediterranee.

Colour is a typical bright medium yellow, some minimal clinging legs. 13.0% alc.

Nose. Stone fruit, apricot and pear. Quite aromatic, hint of green pepper is strange?. Some floral scents but seems to lack any tropical fruit tones.

Palate. Quite dry, minerally but lacks richness. The green capsicum is noted on the finish which is not typical I`d say. Wine has some similarities to the Cazal-Viel which was more approachable in my mind. Some white peach but tough to figure it all out. Maybe current medications do not help!!

Cost was $22.00 Cdn.

As an aside, I managed to taste the `00 Quintessence from said winery. The `99 was a blockbuster and is still available here in town.

Dark garnet in the glass, tons of red fruits on the nose with some oak. Has some real future, some nice spice and great grip. Tannins still dominate but seem to be softening. Love the fruit balance, very good mouthfeel.
Has anyone tried the Les Terrasses??
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Re: WTN: `04 Viognier, Ch Pesquie.

Postby Jenise » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:55 am

Bob, the Les Terrasses was killer in 99. Unfortunately, there were a lot of heat damaged bottles around and I went through two cases trying to find a repeat of the first grand bottle I bought, but without success. All quite literally stunk.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby OW Holmes » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:20 pm

Jenise, my experience was fortunately much better. I went thru 13 bottles of the '99 Les Terasses (the one sample bottle and the case that immediately followed) and every bottle was just great - particularly for the price. No, actually, just great regardless of price. Now that I think about it, maybe I have a bottle stuffed away somewhere.
-OW
OW Holmes
Wine guru

Postby Jenise » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:41 pm

Oliver, I'm glad someone deserving got lucky with that wine. It was great, but apparently unfiltered and prone to respond badly to heat exposure. I spoke to some fans in Canada who had similar trouble to mine. I'm sure if you still have a bottle, it's better than ever.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Return to Wine Focus