The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Belondrade Y Lurton 2003

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

WTN: Belondrade Y Lurton 2003

by Dave Erickson » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:52 pm

I'm going to dispense with the usual nose/palate/finish format and get right into it:

Why on earth would anyone take perfectly fine verdejo from the Rueda and age it in French and American oak, so that it tasted like a big California Chardonnay? Why? Could it be because they could get $38 for it? :evil: :evil: :evil:
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: Belondrade Y Lurton 2003

by Saina » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:04 pm

Dave Erickson wrote:I'm going to dispense with the usual nose/palate/finish format and get right into it:

Why on earth would anyone take perfectly fine verdejo from the Rueda and age it in French and American oak, so that it tasted like a big California Chardonnay? Why? Could it be because they could get $38 for it? :evil: :evil: :evil:

You know, this type of stories are becoming all too common. It seems all wines are being spoiled by spoofulating them. When even the obscure regions are going that path, where will I find stuff to drink in a few years? I've been exploring beers, getting ready for that horrible day :( But I do think that the vintaged might also be part of the culprit? Though the oaking does sound horrendous also.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.