The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Port

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

J Nolan

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:48 pm

Italy

Port

by J Nolan » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:38 pm

Just a little request if someone can indicate a californian Port if exists first of all!!
I would also be very interested in visiting some estates that might be preferably either Port producers, Marsala, Sherry, Passito, or other producers of meditation wines as I'd call them(not for sweets(deserts), but that go well with cheeses and savoury products).
Cheers
John
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Re: Port

by Sam Platt » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:15 pm

J Nolan wrote:Just a little request if someone can indicate a californian Port if exists first of all!!

Yes. California Port, not to be confused with "Porto", does exist. I have visited the Prager winery which makes and sells Port near St. Helena, California. Prager is the only Calfornia Port producer that I have first hand knowledge of, but I would assume that there are many others. I can't really give an educated opinion on the quality of Ports from CA, having sampled only one.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:49 pm

Echoing Sam, Prager is certainly worth a visit if you are out that way as it is the most unique tasting room I've been to and the Pragers are just fun to hang out with. The "ports" are ok but I've found more pleasure and more value in a good traditional LBV ports than I have in most of the ports I've had from Prager. At $80 for their vintage port, you can instead get a great true Vintage Porto.
Heitz Vineyard makes a nice grignolino port and there are a handful of zin ports from CA as well. Edgewood used to make a decent one.
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:19 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:Echoing Sam, Prager is certainly worth a visit if you are out that way as it is the most unique tasting room I've been to and the Pragers are just fun to hang out with. The "ports" are ok but I've found more pleasure and more value in a good traditional LBV ports than I have in most of the ports I've had from Prager. At $80 for their vintage port, you can instead get a great true Vintage Porto.
Heitz Vineyard makes a nice grignolino port and there are a handful of zin ports from CA as well. Edgewood used to make a decent one.

I third Prager. I was there about 4 years ago? Man - time flies. Amazing stuff - very intimate and cozy winery - owner was quite hospitable and his wines very intriguing. I remember having a wine that had incredible elegant notes of hazlenut. Definitely a must go winery.
no avatar
User

Eric Ifune

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:51 pm

Las Vegas, NV and elsewhere

by Eric Ifune » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:15 am

Ficklin produces a Californian Port using the traditional grape varieties. Their basic wine is a good substitute for a ruby port. Their Vielle Vignes is more like a late bottled vintage.
no avatar
User

Jodene Hayward

Rank

Cellar rat

Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:06 am

Fresno, CA

by Jodene Hayward » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:41 am

You bet there are some great California Ports from Madera, California. IMO Ficklin Port is the best and Quady is second. Ficklin has been growing port varietals since the 40's and has won many awards. Go to http://www.ficklin.com For information on Quady go to http://www.quadywinery.com
Jody H
no avatar
User

J Nolan

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:48 pm

Italy

by J Nolan » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:03 pm

I'm going to take note of these and get down to business in a couple of weeks cheers to all
no avatar
User

Shaji

by Shaji » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:38 pm

I doubt if anything could be more Californian than a Zinfandel port!
no avatar
User

Jodene Hayward

Rank

Cellar rat

Fresno, CA

by Jodene Hayward » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:40 pm

Shaji wrote:I doubt if anything could be more Californian than a Zinfandel port!

Sorry to say that I haven't found many of the Zinfandel ports that can stand up to a good Ficklin or Quady.
Jody H
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:45 pm

Sam Platt wrote:
J Nolan wrote:Just a little request if someone can indicate a californian Port if exists first of all!!

Yes. California Port, not to be confused with "Porto", does exist. I have visited the Prager winery which makes and sells Port near St. Helena, California. Prager is the only Calfornia Port producer that I have first hand knowledge of, but I would assume that there are many others. I can't really give an educated opinion on the quality of Ports from CA, having sampled only one.

Exactly.

There are several wineries in California who do produce very good Late Harvest wines....not the least of which include Zinfandel and [surprisingly enough] Chardonnay grapes.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:48 pm

Jodene Hayward wrote:
Shaji wrote:I doubt if anything could be more Californian than a Zinfandel port!

Sorry to say that I haven't found many of the Zinfandel ports that can stand up to a good Ficklin or Quady.

Right on, Jodene!

Quady's Orange and Black Muscats are just fabulous wines. :)
no avatar
User

Jodene Hayward

Rank

Cellar rat

Fresno, CA

by Jodene Hayward » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:00 am

Quady's Orange and Black Muscats are just fabulous wines. :)[/quote]

Yes they are, but I was refering more to both Ficklin and Quady Ports that are made from Tinta Madeira, Tinta Cao, Tinta Touriga and Souza grapes. Ficklin also produces their Old Vine Tinta Port from a Soleras system and a 10 Year Tawny.
Jody H
no avatar
User

Shaji

by Shaji » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:13 pm

Jodene Hayward wrote:

Maybe, the palates may differ. But, doubt if anything could be more Californian than a Zinfandel port!
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:50 pm

TimMc wrote:Quady's Orange and Black Muscats are just fabulous wines. :)

Jodene Hayward wrote:Yes they are, but I was refering more to both Ficklin and Quady Ports that are made from Tinta Madeira, Tinta Cao, Tinta Touriga and Souza grapes. Ficklin also produces their Old Vine Tinta Port from a Soleras system and a 10 Year Tawny.

No quarrel here.

Both Ficklin and Quady vint some excellent desert wines.

But I must confess, I have had more than a few fine cigars over a glass of both. :D
no avatar
User

Jodene Hayward

Rank

Cellar rat

Fresno, CA

by Jodene Hayward » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:44 am

No argument that they both produce good dessert wines. I know that Roy(Portolover) enjoys a good Ficklin Port. And of course a good cigar always goes well with a great Port.
Jody H
no avatar
User

John DeFiore

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:44 pm

CA Bay Area

by John DeFiore » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:05 am

Who makes the "Starboard" dessert wine, I can't remember at the moment?

Actually, California "ports" are some good dessert wines but they're nothing like a real vintage Port from a good producer, in my opinion. The quality of LBV and even ruby Ports has been increasing over the past few years so there are some excellent values out there now.

Regards,

John
no avatar
User

Andrew Shults

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:32 am

Chicago, Illinois, USA

by Andrew Shults » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:51 am

John DeFiore wrote:Who makes the "Starboard" dessert wine, I can't remember at the moment?

That's Quady (mentioned by several people above).