Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Is there a "Leftover Night" at your house?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Is there a "Leftover Night" at your house?

by Jenise » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:17 pm

In another thread, Kim Adams said: I promised myself that I would try not to let some much leftover food go to waste so tonight is leftover night. George gets his pick between a flank steak galantine or 4 different pizza treatments (the crust made BTW with lots of soy flour which I'll not do again) and I'm opting for some Thai tofu thing I made on Tuesday.

That got me to thinking about a friend who does Leftover Night. She too can't stand to waste anything, and she manages to assemble these disparate dishes into a nice little parade of Little Plates that makes a neat little meal, especially for the unexpected guest like me who didn't get any of those dishes in their first appearances. I loved dropping in on Leftover Night.

Me, no leftover night at our house. Mostly, I cook just enough for two, and all the little leftovers there occasionally are get consumed by me for breakfasts. Larger quantities usually get converted into a new dish different enough to not look or taste like a repeat.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Is there a "Leftover Night" at your house?

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:19 pm

Jenise wrote:Me, no leftover night at our house. Mostly, I cook just enough for two, and all the little leftovers there occasionally are get consumed by me for breakfasts. Larger quantities usually get converted into a new dish different enough to not look or taste like a repeat.

Same here, almost word-for-word. The only possible exception is if I make something like chili in a huge pot that's way too much to eat. Then I'll usually freeze it, and keep it until either it gets thrown out years later or we eat it far enough down the pike that it doesn't seem like a leftover any more.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:26 pm

We tend to make intentional leftovers. With our work week schedule there is usually little time for cooking, so I like to make at least 1 dish over the weekend that will be a good leftover on say Monday or Tuesday.

Unintentional leftovers typically become lunch (take it to work in gladware & heat in microwave).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:52 pm

NO matter how I plan, I'll have a few nights where I'll make a nice dinner and one or the other of DH or DS will come home and remind me of other plans...even if it doesn't involve dinner, they may get home so late taht they never eat any of what I've cooked.

I'll do lunch a time or two, but if it's too much--I like to use leftover night to clear out the fridge (and I'm trying hard to clean out the fridge of ALL leftovers once a week anyway)--but Gary hates leftovers, so I like to do this on one of the nights I manage to remember he's heading out.

B
no avatar
User

bgbarcus

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:25 am

by bgbarcus » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:12 pm

We have at least one "musgo" (everything in the fridge must go) night a week. That include leftovers and aging produce. My kids recently started going to Tae Kwan Do classes twice a week and now we plan leftovers for one or both of those nights. Some musgo nights are just a line of old stuff buffet style. Other times we get creative and use leftovers as ingredients for new dishes.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:11 pm

I plan for leftovers at our house. Gene loves them for lunch, I usually snag any leftover salad or veggies for lunch. Since we have an RV and take off at whim, I like to have a nice selection of frozen, quick meals to pull from. :D
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:54 pm

I'm almost always cooking just for myself, and I don't like the hassle of cutting down recipes, so I tend to cook 2-3 days in succession and then eat leftovers for the next week or so. For this reason I tend to favor recipes that reheat well.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:16 pm

Me, no leftover night at our house.

Not with Tawny, the wonder mutt. I swear, before long Carole will have a place setting for her.

no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:48 am

I like to have leftovers in the house. While we don't have one specific night on which we serve them, when we start getting an accumulation of containers in the fridge, we'll just declare that it's time to clean them out.

More often than not, there's more than we can eat, but if it doesn't go on the second time to the table, it's into the trash.

We also like to change the format of our leftover meal. For instance, earlier this week, Cindy made chicken cutlets parm. She probably served them with mashed potatos and a vegetable. (I don't know, I wasn't here) Last night when I arrived home from a long day of travel, too tired to go out, and not feeling like cooking, we busted out the chicken, heated it up and served it on steak rolls. It kind of makes it feel like something new.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:46 am

On principle, no, I don't like having leftovers - only because of the boredom factor in having one thing for 2 or 3 days in succession. I don't mind cooking a tiny bit every day, and what I can conjure up doesn't take long anyway (i.e. a small pot of purple rice with a side dish of steamed butternut squash and a bit of butter over it - this is perfect for a simple mid-week dinner).

However, of course there will be times when I make more than can be eaten - like yesterday. Made rabbit cacciatore, and I still have some left over for today.

The good thing about some recipes, though, is that by day 2 it actually tastes better than day 1 - because the meat has become infused by the sauce.
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:37 pm

I do LOTS of leftover nights, especially during the winter. I love to cook, but making something worthy of being called dinner takes too much time and energy on an every-night basis. In the winter, I tend toward soups, stews and roasts, and I might have three or four leftover nights in a row, cooking only vegetables fresh, and maybe throwing together a salad or side. In the summer, the menu gets much lighter and easier to do every night.

Dave
no avatar
User

Chris

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

Jenise's 'hood

by Chris » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:53 am

We don't like leftover steak or tri-tip - takes on an odd refrigerated taste. But when I make casseroles or soups, I always make enough for several days of lunches (and perhaps the occasional dinner) for my husband.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:46 pm

John Tomasso wrote:I like to have leftovers in the house...we busted out the chicken, heated it up and served it on steak rolls. It kind of makes it feel like something new.

EXACTLY. Leftovers are opportunities. Tonight we'll be having cold prime rib from last night with a new potato salad. Just enough for two and it won't feel like a repeat.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:50 pm

Chris wrote:We don't like leftover steak or tri-tip - takes on an odd refrigerated taste. But when I make casseroles or soups, I always make enough for several days of lunches (and perhaps the occasional dinner) for my husband.

Refrigerated taste? I haven't noticed that, but then whatever it tastes of I adore cold meat (what I can't bear is reheating it--tastes spoiled to me.) Ever consider sprinkling a good vinaigrette over some cold steak and maybe adding something extra like garlic and fresh rosemary?
no avatar
User

Chris

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

Jenise's 'hood

by Chris » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:51 pm

I get the "echh" taste whether the meat is refrigerated or reheated. If I was starving and that was all that was available, sure I'd eat it. But given a choice, no.

The rosemary and vinaigrette sounds wonderful but I would want that over freshly cooked meat. Love a salad with rare roast beef that's warm and tossing off a lot of juices.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:03 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:I'm almost always cooking just for myself, and I don't like the hassle of cutting down recipes, so I tend to cook 2-3 days in succession and then eat leftovers for the next week or so. For this reason I tend to favor recipes that reheat well.

I'm in that same place. Even though I love cooking, after my typical 12-14 hour days, some nights I just don't feel like it. It's handy to have leftovers so I cook on easier days or the weekend. And I don't really care if I eat the same thing a couple times in the same week.

No freezer except the one on the fridge, so I tend not to freeze the excess.

And, of course, I come from a huge family (9 siblings), so I don't quite know how to cook small amounts. It never *looks* like enough! (I have gotten adept at asking my single non-cooking neighbors in for dinner when I go way overboard.)
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

Not really

by Bill Spencer » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:03 pm

Jenise wrote:Me, no leftover night at our house. Mostly, I cook just enough for two, and all the little leftovers there occasionally are get consumed by me for breakfasts. Larger quantities usually get converted into a new dish different enough to not look or taste like a repeat.

%^)

Kathleen and I are cooking for two and about half of the time consume at dinner what's prepared ... the other 40 percent of the time, leftovers are eaten by one of us for lunch ... the other 10 percent of the time, the leftovers are turned into all or part of another dinner meal ... examples would be turning leftover mashed potatoes into potato tacos or left over pork roast into Mexican green chile ...

The garbage can doesn't see much action in our home ...

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Richard_Atkinson

Rank

Just got here

Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:38 pm

Leftovers?

by Richard_Atkinson » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:55 pm

We always make enough...on Sunday...for leftovers once or twice during the week. With our work schedule, its nice to be able to re-heat something when we both get in late.

Richard