Viva Vasse Felix..but Riesling this ain`t!

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Viva Vasse Felix..but Riesling this ain`t!

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:16 am

Running a tad late with more Cab Sauv reports! I have always been a huge cool-climate VF fan and this `04 did not disappoint.

WTN: `04 Vasse Felix Cabernet Sauvignon, Margaret River W. Australia.

One year in the cellar, $35 Cdn, good natural cork. 14% alc, opened and decanted for an hour. Not much change overnight but oh so enjoyable!

Color. Big intense centre with thin light purple rim. No sign of any bricking.

Nose. Took around 3 hrs to start to open up. Not an intense sweet ripe nose, quite plummy with blackcurrant. Some oak, spice and hint of violets. "Has an aroma not dis-similar to a claret" was a comment from across the table. (This thought also occured during the tasting).

Palate. Initial entry thoughts were dry, integrated tannins, good acidity, cassis. Medium-bodied, lengthy finish, tad chalky and hint of pepper. Other notes worthy of mention.....plum, licorice and excellent mid-palate. I wonder if this needs some time, perhaps David will look in?
As I stated I am a firm believer in these cool climate reds and would be hard pushed to find a CS like this (at this price point) from California. Emails with reference to my education are welcome!

Food was Pork Scallopini with a wild mushroom sauce.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Re: Viva Vasse Felix..but Riesling this ain`t!

Postby Salil » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:21 am

Agree Bob, there are some really world-class classical Cabernets coming out of Margaret River. I recently was blown away by a Cullen Diana Madeline a few weeks ago, and Moss Wood is also doing some wonderful stuff. This sounds like one to look out for. Thanks for the note.
Salil
Franc de Pied

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:24 am

Salil, have you tried the Shiraz or their Chardonnay?
The Adams Road label is from VF too and a tad cheaper. Very good value of course.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby David Lole » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:41 am

Nice post, Bob, thanks.

Opened a 1983 Cape Mentelle last night and it was outstanding. Lots of earth, cedar and dusty blackcurrants. Still maintaining wonderful composure for its age with no signs of senility, although I'm sure this cannot improve. It did, however, have a dose of "life saver syndrome" for a while but this, quite magically, filled in after sitting in the glass for some time. Not as profound as the last bottle I opened (95) but still in the 92/93 point range from my point of view. The wine should be drunk sooner than later. I've got one left in the cellar.
Cheers,

David
David Lole
Wine guru

Postby Jenise » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:30 pm

Vasse Felix is one of my favorite Aussie producers, never disappoints. I'm still sitting on some 98's and 99's (99 being the better year in the MR). I should possibly consider getting around to them.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby David M. Bueker » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:34 pm

Western Australia is so good that I am even starting to buy the wines... :shock:
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:32 am

WTN: `06 Vasse Felix Adams Road Chardonnay, Margaret River

My first taste of the new vintage on the shelf here. I believe this export label is to be discontinued shortly.

Pale yellow in color, no green. On the nose a hint of smoke, floral aromatics, gentle oak tones do not overpower. Some butterscotch as it warms, really like this one. Peach to forefront, nose not so expressive on day 2.
Initial entry thoughts were peach, melon, soft, crisp acidity. Not an overblown style at all, as it opens the finish shows some vanilla and light citrus. Pineapple and grapefruit on day 2, very nice balance here. Will buy some more and check in a few months. Drinks nicely now though!

SC, $26 and 13% alc.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Mark Kogos » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:48 pm

Bob, interesting note. I have never tried any of the VF chardonnay. I should give it a try. As there is always an exception to the rule (in this case MR produces excellent chardonnays) I tried a very average example on Friday called Ashbrook at a new French restaurant around the corner. The French owners hoad choosen some excellent French wines but appeared to know nothing about Australian wine.
Miss dhem Saints.
Mark Kogos
Ultra geek

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:46 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:WTN: `06 Vasse Felix Adams Road Chardonnay, Margaret River

My first taste of the new vintage on the shelf here. I believe this export label is to be discontinued shortly.

Pale yellow in color, no green. On the nose a hint of smoke, floral aromatics, gentle oak tones do not overpower. Some butterscotch as it warms, really like this one. Peach to forefront, nose not so expressive on day 2.
Initial entry thoughts were peach, melon, soft, crisp acidity. Not an overblown style at all, as it opens the finish shows some vanilla and light citrus. Pineapple and grapefruit on day 2, very nice balance here. Will buy some more and check in a few months. Drinks nicely now though!

SC, $26 and 13% alc.

June 20th. Bottle #3.

The color is now verging on a medium to deep lemon but no trace of gold. Still nice and clear, attractive.
Nose shows more spice now but oak infuence still there. More citrus/lime, melon and peach. Still has a ton of appeal but could not find any butterscotch this time around.
Initially thought wine had faded but as it warmed, the palate shone. Dry, excellent acidity, stonefruit, peach, zesty lime. Sure is not a tropical fruit bomb style, very much cool-climate in my books. Pity my last bottle and yes label discontinued.

++++Original post came from a previous Wine Focus thread.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Return to Wine Focus