Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Cole Slaw Dressing

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

RCP: Cole Slaw Dressing

by Howie Hart » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:32 am

This past weekend, before one of my Army sons had to return to Ft. Hood, TX, I decided to have a cookout. I did Chef Carey's BBQ ribs again (I'm getting good at them), but with the heat, I decided to make Cole Slaw instead of the usual potato salad. I knew my wife used to make a Cole Slaw dressing with celery seeds in it, but when I looked up a cole slaw recipe in the B.H.&G. cookbook she usually used, the dressing didn't call for celery seed. However, they did have Celery Seed Dressing recipe, which I modified as follows:

Cole Slaw Dressing

1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. mustard powder
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup EVOO
1 tbsp. celery seed

Stir ingredients to mix well. Makes 1 cup, enough for 2 bags of pre-shredded cole slaw mix. This was pretty good and similar to what my wife used to make, but I don't think she used paprika or mustard.
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

Re: RCP: Cole Slaw Dressing

by Howard » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:36 pm

That looks good Howie. We usually use EVOO, lemon juice, and salt over freshly shredded red and green cabbage. Best if it's tossed the day before.
Howard
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:43 pm

Howard wrote: Best if it's tossed the day before.

I mixed it up a few hours ahead and the volume decreased by about half as the dressing was absorbed. It does need some time.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:07 pm

Nice recipe, Howie, and I'm glad to see someone advocating a see-through dressing for cabbage. Nice change.

Another variation? Try peanut oil, and maybe add a handful of spanish peanuts to the salad. My favorite version of cole slaw is something like that, along with cilantro and slivers of red onion.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov