Viognier gentics anyone?

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Viognier gentics anyone?

Postby Anders Källberg » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:56 pm

Does anyone of you have some information if there are any findings (modern, DNA-based) of which other varieties Viognier is related to? I have a vague memory that I once heard about some relation between Viognier and some grape in the Piemonte. Could someone confirme this?
Thanks, Anders
Anders Källberg
Wine guru

Re: Viognier gentics anyone?

Postby Otto » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:29 pm

Anders Källberg wrote:Does anyone of you have some information if there are any findings (modern, DNA-based) of which other varieties Viognier is related to? I have a vague memory that I once heard about some relation between Viognier and some grape in the Piemonte. Could someone confirme this?
Thanks, Anders

On the main page of WLP there is a link to an invaluable resource: The Winegrape Glossary which has this to say about the grape and its relationship to Chasselas:

"VIOGNIER:
(Pronounced "VEE-oh-nee-aye"). Semi-classic grape variety grown in the northern Rhone region of France. Has full, spicy flavors somewhat reminiscent of the Muscat grape and violets. Recent research indicates a clonal relationship to the Chasselas grape variety. New plantings in California have created much anticipation among that States wine community. Viognier wine can vary from almost Riesling-like character to almost Chardonnay character, depending on production method, but is not noted for ageing ability and is best drunk while young. Variety clones are currently undergoing trial by the Cornell Horticultural Research Unit (NY) for cool climate region suitability. Recently planted small commercial acreages in the eastern Finger Lakes region of New York state are now (1997) yielding enough grapes to allow one winery to make limited amounts of varietal wine."
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.

No longer ITB.
Otto
Musaroholic

Postby Anders Källberg » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:42 pm

Recent research indicates a clonal relationship to the Chasselas grape variety.

Thanks Otto.
In fact I couldn't stop myself from doing some Googling after my post but did not find any info about this relational claim, so I'm not sure how reliable it is. Let me know if you find any firmer information about a relation to Chasselas.

What seems to be more certain, however, is that there is indeed a relation between Viognier and Nebbiolo, since both are shown to be related to Freisa, another Piedmontesan grape, so some claims were made that they could be regarded as cousins.

Cheers, Anders
Anders Källberg
Wine guru

Postby Bob Ross » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:47 pm

Anders, Decanter had an article along these lines: http://www.decanter.com/news/47718.html

Regards, Bob
Bob Ross
Wine guru

Postby Anders Källberg » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:09 pm

Thanks Bob, that was indeed one of the articles I found when googling for "Viognier genetic". An intersting fact is that these findings are from 2004 and the researchers say that further investigations are needed to firmly establish the relationship, but I have not found any more recent results.
Cheers, Anders
Anders Källberg
Wine guru

Postby Bob Ross » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:48 pm

Did you find this symposia with a paper jointly authored by Dr Anna Schneider from CNR of Turin and Dr José Vouillamoz of UC Davis and Istituto Agrario di San Michele all'Adige and others at http://www.nebbiolograpes.org/2004/convegno_atti.htm entitled Variabilità genetica e parentele inaspettate del Nebbiolo?

My Italian is a slow slog, but this may be the results of further researches.

Regards, Bob
Bob Ross
Wine guru

Postby Anders Källberg » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:27 am

Thanks Bob. Yes, I found this one, and though I haven't had time to read it through yet, I think it is the first report of the relations, since it is from the 2004 convention. There was a new Nebbiolo convention held in March 2006, but unfortunately no information from it has been published on their web site yet. I'll keep it under surveillance.
Cheers, Anders
Anders Källberg
Wine guru

Postby Bob Ross » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:34 am

I've done better translation, Andres, and agree that this is the 2004 report . The report was undated, Andres, and the date on the top refers to the March 2006 symposia. I was surprised that one of two principle authors was listed last.

This is probably the best source; I see there is also an English version. Hopefully the March symposia covers the matter.

Thanks for introducing me indirectly to an intereting website.

Regards, Bob
Bob Ross
Wine guru

Return to Wine Focus