The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Ecard Narbantons 1996, Buring Eden Valley Riesling 1998

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

WTN: Ecard Narbantons 1996, Buring Eden Valley Riesling 1998

by David Lole » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:29 am

Maurice Ecard Savigny-les-Beaune 1er Cru “Les Narbantons” 1996

July 09th, 2006

An excellent pinot noir from this impressive producer expressing the terroir and vintage with aplomb. Healthy medium ruby with only minimal lightening in the edges followed by a sexy bouquet harbouring spicy, sappy notes of cherries, plums and a nice touch of savoury oak. Of medium body, the sleek palate provides ample flavours mimicking the nose to a tee, crisp acidity, the finest of fluffy tannins and a superbly delineated, mouthfilling departure. Although ready to drink this wine displays sufficient freshness and vitality to reward another 5-8 years superior drinking. 91 points.

Leo Buring Special Release Eden Valley Riesling 1998

July 07th, 2006

Glowing yellow gold. Enticing bouquet of citrus, toast, ripe pineapple, peach, green apples and passionfruit with a distinct suggestion of minerals. Similarly fruited on the palate, not classical by any stretch of the imagination, nonetheless, nicely poised and quite polished. Of medium-weight, beautifully etched and integrated acid regime with plenty of that same ripe fruit running throughout a lengthy sweet’n’sour finish. Excellent, albeit slightly atypical for this label (in this case, a declassified Leonay), maker and many bottles of same opened over the the last several years. 90 points. Drink now-2010.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Ecard Narbantons 1996, Buring Eden Valley Riesling 1998

by Rahsaan » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:35 am

Maurice Ecard Savigny-les-Beaune 1er Cru “Les Narbantons” 1996

July 09th, 2006

An excellent pinot noir from this impressive producer expressing the terroir and vintage with aplomb. Healthy medium ruby with only minimal lightening in the edges followed by a sexy bouquet harbouring spicy, sappy notes of cherries, plums and a nice touch of savoury oak. Of medium body, the sleek palate provides ample flavours mimicking the nose to a tee, crisp acidity, the finest of fluffy tannins and a superbly delineated, mouthfilling departure. Although ready to drink this wine displays sufficient freshness and vitality to reward another 5-8 years superior drinking. 91 points.

Good to hear that crisp acidity and 96 red burgundy are drinking well. everyone hopes for more and more pleasure from this vintage in upcoming years.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:00 pm

I recently enjoyed an Ecard Savigny Serpentieres ('99 I believe) that is my favorite Savigny to date (I haven't had many of them). I will look for my notes and post later in the week.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:57 am

And it should come forth in spades, Rahsaan, as these wines take on more maturity.
Cheers,

David