Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

walleye

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kirk Arnott

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:15 am

Columbus, Ohio

walleye

by Kirk Arnott » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:24 pm

anyone have any great ideas for cooking walleye, especially on the grill? i marinated some in sherry, garlic and fresh thyme and rosemary and grilled it, but it was awfully bland.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: walleye

by Howie Hart » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:32 pm

Walleye, aka yellow pike, is a member of the perch family. I've only had it breaded and deep fried, but I've done perch on the grill. Marinate for 10-15 minutes in a bit of lemon juice, put foil on the grill, EVOO on the foil then put the fillets on to cook. Close grill and slowly cook until done. Use hardwood charcoal, not a very hot flame and not too close to the grill. When done, remove to platter and serve with melted butter and dill weed.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:49 pm

Wow, Kirk, those ingredients don't sound like they should result in bland fish. I wonder if you just needed a little sugar and salt (think brine) to brighten/punch out the flavors, give them momentum?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:45 pm

walleye can be one of the great fish experiences - but understanding that if fresh, it should be very mild in taste. what i believe happened is that your marinade and cooking source overpowered it. best to just lightly flour it, and saute it in butter. make a beure blanc or just brown some butter and lemon and pour over it with some parsley and chive. simple is best. then serve with chablis or muscadet.
david creighton
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:10 pm

Walleye is such a delicate tasting fish that I wouldn't recommend anything but butter, salt, pepper and lemon or other citrus. The fish is best, I believe, when caught through the ice in the winter and then prepared when one arrives home.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain