The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

"Wines for the deck and patio". All under $20.00 Cdn!!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

"Wines for the deck and patio". All under $20.00 Cdn!!!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:45 pm

Botter Prosecco di Valdobbiadene (Veneto).

Organic, hint of a doughy nose. Lovely wine for under $17, one of the better Proseccos I have come across.

`05 Pares Balta Blanc de Pacs (Penedes).

Third time tasted and winner!! Again organic, terrific nose of pear and apple. Smells sweet but taste is dry. Lovely finish, could go OK with salad dressings.

`04 Lake Breeze Semillon, Okanagan Valley.

This wine has been a revelation for me and my buddies! Pale colour, no yellow. Just a hint of residual sugar, waxy, oily, light honey. Really good finish puckery w. good acidity. One for seafood for sure, love this and very popular with my Stampede patio party!!!

The Reds.

`03 DFJ Pedras do Monte Castelao (Portugal).

Looks light but packs a puch. Kernal fruit on the nose, violets, spice. One taster had this one before and mentioned cocoa and chocolate after an hour. Medium bodied, firm acidity, spicy and savoury. Raspbery and blackberry, look out for this one forumites!

`01 Talomas Cab Sauv/Syrah (Central Coast, Calif).

Good QPR here, only $15. Light violet tinges on rim, not much depth of colour but finish is a big wallop of fruit! Cherry and plum, nice richness and flavour. Its not complex but great with BBQ steak.

`03 Morgante Nero d`Avola (Sicily).

Huge improvement on previous vintages. Nose is violets and plum, minerally. Spice, chocolate, some bitterness (typical) but does not deter with food. Tomato sauces would not stand up to this one!! Very well balanced considering the acidity etc.

On the way home I stopped off at a friends horsey place and we opened a `04 Marcarini Moscato d`Asti to go with flammed peaches! Lovely, "drink a lot and not get hosed" was my better halfs comment.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

Re: "Wines for the deck and patio". All under $20.00 Cdn!!!

by John S » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:19 am

I had the Marcarini Moscato a while back, and agree; it's a very nice Moscato. And my wife says the same thing! 5.5% alcohol means you can knock it back!
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:27 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:
`04 Lake Breeze Semillon, Okanagan Valley.

This wine has been a revelation for me and my buddies! Pale colour, no yellow. Just a hint of residual sugar, waxy, oily, light honey. Really good finish puckery w. good acidity. One for seafood for sure, love this and very popular with my Stampede patio party!!!

How does a wine get to be waxy & oily if it has good acidity? I thought the former was an indication of lack of acidity. Can someone clarify this for me one way or the other?

Thanks
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:17 am

ClarkDGigHbr wrote:How does a wine get to be waxy & oily if it has good acidity? I thought the former was an indication of lack of acidity. Can someone clarify this for me one way or the other?

Thanks

I can't offer a scientific explanation, Clark, but "waxy and oily" are fairly common descriptions of Semillon's textural profile, along with prominent citric acidity. As you probably know, it's more of a body/viscosity/mouthfeel characteristic, as opposed to a flavor note. Semillon may be the best example of "waxy and oily" coexisting with acidity, but it seems to me that some Rieslings, southern Italian whites, and maybe even Chenin Blancs show similar traits
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !