The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '01 Karl Lawrence

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

WTN: '01 Karl Lawrence

by wrcstl » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:35 pm

Hadn't had one of these yet but had great expectations so opened it for dinner in a restaurant with good AC, need that in St. Louis right now if you are going to enjoy red wine. Typical CA nose but things sorta went down hill from there. Too hot on the palate showing alcohol I had never found before in the only cab I buy every year. Tannins present but not harsh and just the right touch of oak. Good fruit but an out of balance off putting stringent finish. Hope this was a bad bottle and look forward to better comments as I have several more bottles.

Walt
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

Re: WTN: '01 Karl Lawrence

by James Dietz » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:43 am

Me too.. .have other bottles.... I opened a bottle back in Jan. '05, and it was quite good.. so.. with other bottles in my cellar.. . I have my fingers crossed...!!
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:16 pm

Gee, Walt, that's not very promising, is it. I have 9 bottles of this wine, and haven't tasted a one yet. Do you also have 2000's (and have you tasted one lately), and are you buying 03's?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:36 pm

Jenise... the hype is that the '03s may be some of the best yet.. apparently there was not enough juice for all the reserve wines or something like that and it went into the regular bottling... something like that.. so I bought.. but I buy every year, so...
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:51 pm

Jim, I wasn't sure, I just don't follow the California vintages like I used to. And I don't know how to interpret the accolades--I prefer vintages like 91 and 95 to vintages like 94 and 97. '03 is sounding, from the KL mailer anyway, a lot like 97.

Oh, and the poopheads cut back my allocation.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:15 pm

Jenise... not to worry... the vintage is available at retail.....K&L has it if you want more....

I missed out on the mailer and didn't get any 375s, which I would have liked to have had....
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:12 am

Jenise,
This was the first bottle of KL I have not enjoyed and the '00 was very good. The press liked the '01 vintage and that was why I was looking forward to my first bottle. I am hoping it is a bad bottle but certainly not very enjoyable particularly with the alcohol and after taste. With 9 bottles you should give it a try and post a TN. I thought '01 was going to be drinking well early. I only buy a 1/2 case each year, 4 cabs and 2 Aldin. I really like their Aldin and probably should buy more. The '01 Aldin was excellent. I dropped off the Rochioli and Rafanelli list and only purchase KL and Dehlinger. With my recent experiences from both of these wineries I may become 100% French and Italian plus a few ESJ as Steve has not sold out to the dark side.
Walt