The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1997 Smith-Haut-Lafitte

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

WTN: 1997 Smith-Haut-Lafitte

by Redwinger » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:06 am

1997 Smith-Haut-Lafitte (Pessac-Leognan)
I wasn't sure what to expect of this bottle from a somewhat "lesser" vintage when we popped a cork down at the shoppe. I don't drink a lot of Bordeaux and buy even less. However, I must admit this wine just seemed to hit all the right notes yesterday. Cassis, black fruit, tobacco and a certain minerality danced with grace, elegance and finesse across the palate. Not a wine to garner a lot of points from the critics, but who cares. If you have any of these in your cellar, I suggest you try one soon..it is drinking very well and while it is in no danger of an imminent demise, I also don't see this as an "ager". ~$40

Curly

Disclaimer: I sell this wine to people.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 1997 Smith-Haut-Lafitte

by Jenise » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:04 pm

Curly--are you using the Three Stooges rating system, or do you have a new nickname?

Never had this wine, but it sounds like it's outperforming the vintage. Many of these 97's plateaued and started fading some time ago.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Savage

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:13 am

by Paul Savage » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:13 pm

Bill,

I have been meaning to try some recent vintage of this, as I have seen a number of very positive notes. I see in Parker's Bordeaux book that the Chateau was sold in 1991 to Daniel and Florence Cathiard, and apparently the new owners have really raised the quality of the wine! But prices haven't caught up yet? ...Paul
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:06 pm

Jenise wrote:Curly--are you using the Three Stooges rating system, or do you have a new nickname?

Jenise,
Not exactly new. It sort of goes back to another wine board where myslef and a couple of friends posted quite a bit. One guy's real name was Larry and the other had the handle of "Moe" so it only seemed natural that I somehow was designated Curly. FWIW, Geot. who posts here later assumed the role of Shemp.
Redwinger
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:08 pm

Paul Savage wrote:Bill,

I have been meaning to try some recent vintage of this, as I have seen a number of very positive notes. I see in Parker's Bordeaux book that the Chateau was sold in 1991 to Daniel and Florence Cathiard, and apparently the new owners have really raised the quality of the wine! But prices haven't caught up yet? ...Paul

Paul,
I think we have the 1996 and 2002 vintages of this someplace in the shop, so I'll try to get these into the store tasting queue soon.
Thanks for the background information.
Bill