The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Villa Maria Private Bin Sauvignon Blanc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

WTN: 2005 Villa Maria Private Bin Sauvignon Blanc

by ClarkDGigHbr » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:10 am

My wife and I finally dined at a little Thai restaurant in Tacoma that has been on our list to try for a long time. [BTW a big thumbs up for Silk Thai on 6th Avenue in Tacoma.] Although my wife wanted a beer with her dinner, I couldn't resist pairing my seafood medley with basil in red curry sauce (medium-to-mild) with a chilled Sauvignon Blanc.

I saw the 2005 Villa Maria Private Bin Sauvignon Blanc (Marlborough, New Zealand) on the wine list and recognized it as a wine I had tried several times in the past few years. It's not a blockbuster, but is always quite good. This wine has crisp citrus and tropical fruit flavors with a bit of grass. And it went great with that meal.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2005 Villa Maria Private Bin Sauvignon Blanc

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:57 am

Good notes Clark, a winner winery eh. Try the Gewurtz if you see it around, a lovely wine.
no avatar
User

CraigW

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:38 pm

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

by CraigW » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:25 am

I'm actually a big fan of the Villa Maria Riesling - especially for the price (comes in between $15-$20 CAD here in Alberta).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:26 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Good notes Clark, a winner winery eh. Try the Gewurtz if you see it around, a lovely wine.

I would also recommend to Clark that he be all over any of the single vineyard Villa Maria wines if he's ever lucky enough to see them. They are stunning, quality at a level most people don't understand exists. The Clifford Bay is my favorite.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:57 pm

Hey, thank you all for those recommendations. If you read my tale about Viognier (July Wine Focus), then you know I have a weakness for aromatic wines. I've never seen anything but the Villa Maria Private Bin Sauvignon Blanc in any of the stores around here. However, I will definitely keep my eyes (and nose) open for other offerings from this winery.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:35 am

Villa Maria can make some mighty fine reds too, especially their reserve and single vineyard Pinots and the Reserve Merlot and Merlot-Cab blend. NZ is mianly known for their whites, especially SB, but the Hawkes Bay area (and the Gimlett Gravels area in particular) can produce some great reds in the right/ripe vintages (e.g., 1998, 2000 and 2002).

Of course, it's hard to find many top NZ reds outside of NZ and OZ, as there isn't the market for them (yet). The Central Otago pinots seems to be leading the charge in Canada and the States.

I brought back a couple of the Villa Maria Reserve Merlot 2002 from NZ a while back - very nice wine, even for this New World merlot skeptic!