The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: '00 Avvoltore & '01 Cimbolo

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

TN: '00 Avvoltore & '01 Cimbolo

by geo t. » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:20 pm

We were blown away by the 2001 Moris Avvoltore Maremma Toscana when we tried it a little over a year ago, so when I happened upon a bottle from the previous vintage, I didn’t hesitate to pick it up, take it home and open it with the first grilled leg o’ lamb we could get our hands on, sharing it and the following selection with our friend Deb Hart.

2000 Moris Avvoltore Maremma Toscana2000 Moris Avvoltore Maremma Toscana, 75% Sangiovese, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon, 5% Syrah, $45.99, 13.5% alc.: This deep dark garnet is every bit as pleasing as the ’01 was; the lovely aromatics follow through onto the palate, offering earthy sticks, smoke, black currants and berries and dried sour cherries. With excellent structure, concentration and balance, this promises a lovely future, with at least three to five years of improvement, but it’s already drinking like a dream.

Imported by J&J Importers, Bloomfield Hills, MI

We sampled the next wine late during a gathering about a year and a half ago, and while we really liked it, we recorded no particular impressions beyond that. (The 2001 Poggio Bertaio Crovello, on the other hand, was duly noted, and quite enthusiastically so.) So, like with the ’00 Avvoltore, when I saw this, I snatched it right up, and we enjoyed it on the same occasion as the previous wine.

2001 Poggio Bertaio Cimbolo Sangiovese Umbria, $28.99, 14% alc.: Slightly rusty dark garnet in color, showing earthy underbrush, “sticksy” dried sour cherries and dark chocolate flavors and aromas. It has a rich core of fruit, being nicely structured and well balanced, with excellent length on the finish. This lovely wine should improve for several years, but like the Avvoltore, it’s already delicious, especially with that leg o’ lamb.

Imported by Vias Imports, Ltd., New York, NY

-From Following Up Part Deux

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: TN: '00 Avvoltore & '01 Cimbolo

by Jenise » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:47 pm

Geo, you sent me scampering into the past to see which Moris Avvoltore I'd had and whether or not it, of one of the coincidentally three Moris sangioveses brought to a BYO Sangio dinner, was the one I considered my WOTN. All I can tell you was that it was the '98, and remembering who brought that bottle and the order they were listed in the tasting notes, it's likely it was. Gorgeous wine, though rather atypical for a sangiovese. It has some cab and other things in it too, no?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:56 pm

Jenise wrote:... It has some cab and other things in it too, no?

I never had this wine but it probably has something like 20% Cabernet and 5% Syrah...just a WAG :lol:
Curly
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:05 pm

Oh pooh, I see it now. NEVERMIND. :oops:
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:37 am

We had the '03 Avvoltore last Monday night, and it too is very nice. Expensive, though...

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :shock:
Nunquam Spuemus