stylistic differences-Merlot

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

stylistic differences-Merlot

Postby Pessy Haskelevich » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:39 pm

Dear Daniel,

Thank you for sharing your passion for the good things that make life meaningful.

I have been enjoying tasting Kosher wine for some time now and recently decided to take my interest further and to educate my palate I bought a book on food and wine pairing which really breaks down each grapes characteristics. In order to understand the descriptions of the different styles available to each grape i need to taste. I was wondering if you can recommend some budget friendly wines. Specifically I want to understand the difference between a merlot that is trying to be like a cabernet, one that is soft smooth and easy to drink, and a lean European style merlot. would you be able to recommend kosher wines for these characteristics or maybe even a characteristic that I did not mention but you think would be beneficial to understand?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Pessy Haskelevich
Pessy Haskelevich
Just got here

Re: stylistic differences-Merlot

Postby Daniel Rogov » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:22 pm

Pessy, Hi...

In the way of reasonably priced Israeli Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon wines, I would suggest a comparative tasting of the various wines of those varieties from Galil Mountain, from Dalton and from Tabor as well as in the Gamla series of the Golan Heights Winery and those in the Regional (Ayzorit) Series of Carmel.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum