Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Scallion Pancakes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Scallion Pancakes

by Jenise » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:17 pm

(For Bill Spencer).

Bill, this recipe will make around a dozen three-inch pancakes (though of course, make them whatever size sounds good!)

2 cups AP flour
1/2 c rice flour
1/2 tsp onion powder
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 2/3 c sparkling water
4 scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced
1/2 c extra light olive oil (or other neutral oil), divided

In a mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients and then add the seltzer and onions. In a very large skillet, heat some of the oil and heat it until shimmering. Make the pancakes, about three at a time, by scooping in the batter and spreading into a thin circle. These should become golden in two-three minutes per side. Remove to a clean towel to cool--do not stack.

Try a tester first to get the hang of it. Optionally, you can make several large pancakes and cut them into quarters. In place of the onions, you can use other herbs like chives or cilantro. I've made them sesame-flavored too. For the crab cakes, lemon zest would be fantastic, as would a couple pinches of cayenne.
Last edited by Jenise on Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: RCP: Scallion Pancakes

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:55 am

I love yow bing. The ones I get in restaurants appear to be rolled rather than simple pancakes. Much too labor intensive. I like your approach better.
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

Re Scallion Pancakes

by Bill Spencer » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:14 am

Jenise wrote:Try a tester first to get the hang of it.

%^)

Hey Jenise !

Kathleen tried a batch late yesterday afternoon ... following your recipe, the first ones ended up as thick as a regular pancake and still doughy in the middle ... she added more seltzer ... they were a little thinner ... she added more seltzer again ... finally got them to look more like crepes than pancakes as to thickness and consistency ...

Are we on the right track ?

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: Re Scallion Pancakes

by Jenise » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:43 am

Yes, you were definitely on the right track. They should have been crepe like. I wonder if I wrote down the wrong amounts? Lemme check....oh F word, I did. I doubled the recipe, basically, but didn't double the seltzer. I'll edit the recipe now, so that its correct in the future should anyone look at it and not read on.

Glad you made a test batch!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

Not to worry ...

by Bill Spencer » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:37 pm

Ideas? We got ideas!

Got a Chinatown in your town where you can buy Chinese roasted ducks? Get one. Then make a pile of these crepes and put out a pile of fresh herbs like cilantro, mint and basil. Or spears of prepared green onion. Tears pieces of duck off the bird, place inside pancake, add herbs and Vietnamese sriricha or green onion and hoisin sauce, roll up and eat. Lack duck? Use a roast chicken.

Get some Chinese egg rolls, or make your own. Wrap those with lettuces and herbs inside large versions of the pancakes.

Cleverly use leftover fish. Flake it, make a tartar-like sauce, put both inside the pancake, roll them up. Serve on salad greens tossed in a light vinaigrette for an elegant lunch--nobody will know they're eating leftovers. Or forget the fish, use cold asparagus. Or leftover ratatouille, or....

The possibilities are pretty endless.
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Sonia Hambleton

Rank

Cellar rat

Sun May 14, 2006 9:14 pm

by Sonia Hambleton » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:54 pm

How does the seltzer change the recipe? Just curious what it does vs regular water. I've not tried making these crepes but they sound easy and interesting. Would love to try some with roast duck like Bill mentions.

On a "local" Chinese food note - we finally got our Nexxus passes for the border only to read the strict list of restrictions on what kinds of foods we can bring thru from Vancouver. Sigh... they don't leave much! So I settled for dim sum in Richmond on the way to the border and will now have to go to Seattle for fresh shitakes and Chinese roasted meats.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:58 pm

Like Bill mentions? That's weird. Actually, that was my post. How in the world did my post end up on Bill's name? There's no way I can intentionally do that if I want to--even with my thread management powers. Hmmm...............
no avatar
User

Sonia Hambleton

Rank

Cellar rat

by Sonia Hambleton » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:01 pm

Yao bing don't really take that long to make since there is no yeast, and are much thicker than Jenise's recipe. I'm going to try this recipe, but still love chung yao bing!

Does your son like dim sum? My daughter is almost 1yr and she LOVES char siu bao, cheung fun, ha gau, siu mai, and turnip cake. I'm sure she'll like yao bing too - great finger food.
no avatar
User

Sonia Hambleton

Rank

Cellar rat

by Sonia Hambleton » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:31 pm

oops... don't know how I misread that one - sorry - I thought he mentioned using roast duck in the crepes! anyway - just wondering if the RCP would flop without seltzer?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:48 pm

Sonia, you didn't misread, but somehow Bill and I got Thorred here--Bill's question disappeared, and the words of my reply to him look like him talking to me. Can't fix it so it will stay, but it's strange and defies explanation.

Anyway, sounds like your daughter is being brought up on some excellent food. Even turnip cake--not something one thinks of as kid food! She must be developing quite the palate.