The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Yuck!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Yuck!

by Saina » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:54 pm

• 1999 Château Troplong Mondot - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (7/12/2006)
    Dark, impenetrable colour. The nose is massively spoofulated. There is dill-like oak, vanilla-like oak, glossy oak, chocolatey oak, ripe and dark toned fruit, and plentiful sweet raspberry liqueur and alcohol. The palate is over-extracted, over fruity, lacking in acidity and savouryness, massively oaked. Where is the earthiness and minerality and herbalness and red toned fruit of St-Emilion? Bordeaux? This? No!!!! This is an abomination!

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: Yuck!

by James Roscoe » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:10 pm

Otto, don't keep your feelings to yourself. Tell us how tou really feel. Was it really that bad. Should we put a big red stamp on this thread that says DO NOT DRINK!
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:15 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Otto, don't keep your feelings to yourself. Tell us how tou really feel. Was it really that bad. Should we put a big red stamp on this thread that says DO NOT DRINK!

LOL!! In a moment of uncharacteristic cruelty, I posted this note on eBob! I wonder what's happening there... I just read that Rolland consults here. Now I understand why this sucks. Come to think of it, I don't think I've had one Rolland wine I like.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:33 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:Otto, don't keep your feelings to yourself. Tell us how tou really feel. Was it really that bad. Should we put a big red stamp on this thread that says DO NOT DRINK!

LOL!! In a moment of uncharacteristic cruelty, I posted this note on eBob! I wonder what's happening there... I just read that Rolland consults here. Now I understand why this sucks. Come to think of it, I don't think I've had one Rolland wine I like.

Otto, you've got to stay off eBob. Let's just say you will be pilloried in the same way I was for disliking the 2003 Troplong. In fact it has already started.

Troplong still makes "well made wine" but it's just not the kind you like. There's room for all kinds, and this gives the eBobers something to drink. Do you want them buying Muscadet? Flordia Jim keeps trying to convert them, but we're better off with them drinking Screaming Eagle, Pavie and Shirvington.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:46 pm

Otto wrote:No!!!! This is an abomination!

Otto, Is that a "strong buy", or just a "maybe"? At what price point would you consider an "abomination" a good QPR? :wink:
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:49 pm

Sam Platt wrote:
Otto wrote:No!!!! This is an abomination!

Otto, Is that a "strong buy", or just a "maybe"? At what price point would you consider an "abomination" a good QPR? :wink:

LOL! Great quote Sam.
Otto really has to come out of his shell. He seems so shy and reticent.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:32 pm

So Otto...I told ya so...
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:19 pm

Otto, see you went back to eBob to check out if you had been banished!! They are all full of "spoofs" right now, thats getting more interest than anything else!!! They all think you drank the wrong vintage too. LOL.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:24 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Otto, see you went back to eBob to check out if you had been banished!! They are all full of "spoofs" right now, thats getting more interest than anything else!!! They all think you drank the wrong vintage too. LOL.

Indeed the 1999 is not spoofed enough.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:37 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Otto, see you went back to eBob to check out if you had been banished!! They are all full of "spoofs" right now, thats getting more interest than anything else!!! They all think you drank the wrong vintage too. LOL.

Hello Bob! It's a funny place that one, and I guess I should steer clear of it! Esp when I was accused of trolling (ok, maybe it was a bit of a troll, but this is precicely what I experienced....), and when one participant plagiarised from Neal Martin's site and I say a little about that, he doesn't apologise or put quotation marks around what he "quoted" and keeps on flaming me for not liking the wine - and then says that he doesn't like it either. Sheesh. Funny place, but maybe I was cruel in taking it there. But at least they learned a new word :)
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:51 am

I saw that too Otto!!! They are an interesting bunch eh. BTW did RP ever post any notes on this one?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:09 am

Cruel? Do you think that your opinion really crushed or hurt those that differ? Interesting.

As I've stated before (here and on other boards) I find internecine sniping between fora petty and distasteful. It reflects more poorly on those doing the sniping than on the targets. This is my "home" board, though I also post my notes on BWE & the Usenet wine group. But I also occasionally post on eBob and WCWN, and every few weeks glance at Therapy, eGullet, etc. On each of those boards I have met (offline) at least 2-3 people who primarily post their notes there, and in each case they are smart people passionate about wine. Our tastes may differ, but I respect their palates, their varying preferences, and their choice of where to post their notes. It's really in better taste to post comments about those on a particular board where they can see them.

As far as it goes, I'm not really a fan of Troplong Mondot.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:28 am

One comment in my defense...pretty much what I say about eBob here comes out over there, just in a slightly different context.

If I were to really say what I felt (unedited) about some of the acitivty on eBob it would be deleted by the fearless leader, who is in fact a friend of mine. We get along very well in person.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:53 am

The worst thing about the "back and forth" is when names are mentioned. That is really unfair. I think there is a fair amount of humour involved here and I see nothing wrong in that. We do not flame here, unlike some other places. Just look around!!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:09 am

Otto Nieminen wrote:LOL!! In a moment of uncharacteristic cruelty, I posted this note on eBob! I wonder what's happening there... I just read that Rolland consults here. Now I understand why this sucks. Come to think of it, I don't think I've had one Rolland wine I like.

Otto, now you don't need to taste the Pedestal made in Washington State that Michel Rolland consulted on--you've already had it. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:44 pm

Dale, fair point. Sorry about the inter board shite flinging. I've of course got all sorts of excuses as to why I needed therapy from that on this board but I won't go there. Like Bob, I've been viewing that (and this thread) with humour. Irony doesn't communicate well on fora. Sorry. I'll shut up now.