WTN: kosher burgundies

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

WTN: kosher burgundies

Postby YoelA » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:41 pm

Shalom, Rogov. My first time here and I thought I would begin by asking questions, and save my opinions for later (like everyone else here, I have lots of them).

So my question - your notes or comments (and/or those of anyone else who wishes to chime in) on kosher burgundies of Roberto Cohen and Anselme Deslar.
YoelA
Wine guru

Re: WTN: kosher burgundies

Postby YoelA » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:44 pm

Well, I already see I should have labled this TNR rather than WTN. I expect to learn, though.
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:10 pm

Yoel, Hello and Welcome to the Forum..

Following are my tasting notes for several of the Roberto Cohen wines....

Roberto Cohen, Corton-Charlemagne, Grand Cru, Bourgogne, 2002: Medium-bodied, dark straw in color, with aromas and flavors of apples, almonds and candied fruits along with a hint of spicy oak. Drink now-2008. Score 87. K (Tasted 30 Sep 2006)

Roberto Cohen, Puligny-Montrachet, Grand Cru, Bourgogne, 2002: Opens with hazelnut, lime and honeyed aromas and flavors, those going to peaches and nectarines. Lacking grip but sits comfortably and moderately-long on the palate. Drink now-2007. Score 85. K (Tasted 1 Oct 2006)

Roberto Cohen, Chambertin-Clos de Beze, Grand Cru, Bourgogne, 2002: Generous red cherry flavors here matched by hints of vanilla and milk chocolate but marred somewhat by astringent tannins and a not fully wanted hint of cinnamon on the finish. Drink now-2008. Score 84. K (Tasted 30 Sep 2006)

Roberto Cohen, Echezeaux, Grand Cru, Bourgogne, 2002: Dark cherry red, medium-bodied with tannins that start off soft but firm up towards the end. On the nose and palate generous cherries and spices but an equally generous influence of sawdust. Pleasant but neither deep nor long. Drink now-2007. Score 84. K (Tasted 30 Sep 2006)

Roberto Cohen, Fleurie, Cru Beaujolais, 2002: Light and soft, still showing cherry, plum and floral notes but clearly past its peak. Drink up. Score 81. K (Tasted 30 Sep 2006)

Roberto Cohen, Moulin-a-Vent, Cru Beaujolais, 2002: Generous black cherry fruits and an appealing spiciness here but starting to show a slightly sour finish. Past its peak. Drink up. Score 80. K (Tasted 30 Sep 2006)

Roberto Cohen, Clos de Vougeot, Grand Cru, Bourgogne, 2000: Medium-bodied, showing more firm tannins than at an earlier tasting (18 Jan 2003) but still with too high levels of acidity and wood. Lacking fruit, a one-dimensional wine. Score 80. (Re-tasted 30 Sep 2006)

Roberto Cohen, Brouilly, Cru Beaujolais, 2001: Medium-bodied, with black cherry and toasty notes but those marred somewhat by the high level of acidity here. A simple country-style wine already somewhat beyond its peak. Drink up. Score 79. (Tasted 30 Sep 2006)

Roberto Cohen, Chambolle-Musigny, Les Seuvrees, Bourgogne, 2000: Medium-bodied, with enough rough tannins and acidity to make the wine astringent, and far too much in the way of eucaplytus and red licorice. Score 74. (Tasted 30 Sep 2006)

Roberto Cohen, Charmes-Chambertin, Grand Cru, Bourgogne 2000: Light- to medium-bodied, showing enough acidity to be thought of as "sour" and with herbal and barnyard aromas and flavors that hide whatever fruits may be lurking here. Score 70. (Tasted 30 Sep 2006)

Roberto Cohen, Morgon, Cru Beaujolais, 2002: Some modest maraschino cherry and milk chocolate aromas and flavors remain here but with a too strong hint of menthol that runs through clearly past its peak. Unscoreable. K (Tasted 30 Sep 2006)

Some of my earlier tasting notes for the Roberto Cohen wines will be found at
http://www.stratsplace.com/cgi-bin/sear ... =&UserID=4

As to the Deslar wines, I have not tasted any releases since the 1999 vintage. I shall be tasting newer releases only this coming winter.

Cuvee Deslar, Bourgogne Rouge, 1999: Dark but not fully clear ruby red, medium-bodied, with soft tannins and a few black cherry, wild berry fruits. Not much here in the way of depth or length but a pleasant enough quaffer, especially if served somewhat chilled. Drink now or in the next year or so. Score 82. K (Tasted 19 Nov 2003)

Cuvee Deslar, Bourgogne Blanc, 1999: Medium-bodied, light golden straw in color, with fresh acidity and apple, pear and citrus aromas and flavors. An uncomplicated little Chardonnay that happens to come from Burgundy. Drink now. Score 84. K (Tasted 19 Nov 2003)

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby YoelA » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:59 pm

Well, I tried one the other day so I will post a reply to my own request (assuming that's allowed, but then again who here doesn't talk to him/herself at least some of the time?)

2000 Anselme Deslar Cote de Beaune "Les Topes-Bizot". Light PN nose with some earthiness; browning in color, light strawberry fruit, flat middle, short and astringent finish. No improvement after 2 days. Not recommended.
YoelA
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum