"Regular" Recanati Shiraz vs. Reserve

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

"Regular" Recanati Shiraz vs. Reserve

Postby Jan Schultink » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:25 pm

I think I like the regular one better. What do other people think?

2005 Recanati Shiraz Reserve - Israel, Galilee (9/4/2008)
Pleasant with muted plum, toasted oak and and fine tannins. Still, I actually prefer the "regular" Shiraz over this "Reserve" bottling. (88 pts.)

2006 Recanati Shiraz Kosher - Israel, Galilee (9/2/2008)
Re-confirming its reputation as one of Israel's best value everyday drinking reds. Almost black in color.Muted nose. Healthy dose of black cherry on a backbone of chunky tannins leading to an elegant and moderately long cigar box/peppermint finish. (89 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
Jan Schultink
Ultra geek

Re: "Regular" Recanati Shiraz vs. Reserve

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:40 pm

Jan, Hi...

I was beginning to worry that we might be too much in agreement. Actually, despite a minor difference of opinions on these two wines, we're fairly close. And, as we'll both happily admit, the difference of one point, so long as the wine remains in the same category, is truly insignificant.

Best
Rogov

Recanati, Syrah, Reserve, 2005: Aged for 14 months in French and American oak. Medium-dark garnet in color, with well-focused tannins and moderate spicy wood in fine balance with black cherry, wild berry and cassis fruits, those with just a hint of smoked meat in the background. At this stage the still-firm tannins hold the wine back a bit. Drink now–2010. Score 89. K

Recanati, Shiraz, 2006: Garnet with orange reflections, medium to full-bodied, showing light spicy and vanilla-rich oak along with soft tannins, that part nicely to show black and red berry fruits along with hints of cassis and orange peel, and on the moderately long finish a nice hint of licorice. Drink now–2010. Score 88. K
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum