Tanya Tasting Notes Please

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Tanya Tasting Notes Please

Postby Menachem S » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:09 am

2006 Halal Reserve:
Merlot
Cabernet Sauvignon
Cab Franc

2006 Elya Special Reserve:
Merlot
Cabernet Sauvignon

2006 Enosh

2005 Special Reserve Blend

Thanks!
Menachem S
Wine guru

Re: Tanya Tasting Notes Please

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:54 pm

Menachem, Hi....

It may be me or it may be the labelling system of the winery but I'm having a problem because to my knowledge the three series of the winery have been Enosh, Halal and Reserve and I'm trying to figure out just what the Halal Reserve, Elya Special Reserve and Special Reserve Blend might be.

I will try to contact the winery tomorrow and see what's what and to obtain any new wines that I may not yet have tasted.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Menachem S » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:15 am

Any word here?

Thanks
Menachem S
Wine guru

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:37 am

Menachem, Hi....

Truth is that I've been too busy in the last few days (partly with work, partly with pleasure) and have not yet made the time to phone Yoram Cohen at the winery. Will do so on Sunday.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Menachem S » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:15 pm

No rush, thanks
Menachem S
Wine guru

Postby Menachem S » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:53 am

Sorry to be a pest . . . any word here?

Someone I know is placing an order from the winery, and I may want to participate.

Thanks
Menachem S
Wine guru

Postby Daniel Rogov » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:58 pm

10:52 p.m. and just spoke with Yoram Cohen of Tanya. He and I shall be meeting in Tel Aviv within a few days at which time I will receive bottles for sampling. I shall post as soon as I have done my tastings.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Menachem S » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:44 am

Thanks
Menachem S
Wine guru

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:49 pm

Menachem, Hi....

As is said "my bad". Speaking with Yoram he reminded me that indeed I have tasted each of these wines and quite recently. I supposed that at times an over-abundance of tasting notes get in the way of the brain. At any rate, following are my tasting notes. With the exception of those wines noted as barrel tastings, all are now on the market.

Best
Rogov

Tanya, Cabernet Franc, Halel, 2006 (Advance Tasting): Dark garnet with green and purple reflections, medium- to full-bodied, with softly mouth-coating tannins. Opens slowly on the nose to reveal notes of tar and chocolate, then on the palate by generous currant, plum and black olive notes, all leading to a long, generous finish on which a distinct hint of espresso. Drink from release-2012. Score 90. K (Tasted 2 Jul 2008)

Tanya, Cabernet Sauvignon-Merlot, Reserve, 2006 (Barrel Tasting): A full-bodied blend of 70% Cabernet Sauvignon and 30% Merlot, the once chunky tannins and generous wood now softening and falling into better balance. Still a somewhat country-style wine, but showing appealing black and red currants and berries, along with hints of licorice and chocolate. Drink from release-2010. Tentative Score 86-88. K (Re-tasted 2 Jul 2008|)

Tanya, Pinot Noir, Reserve, 2007 (Barrel Tasting): Dark ruby towards garnet in color, medium- to full-bodied and with dusty wood and near chewy tannins waiting to settle down. Opens to show raspberries and red currants on the nose and palate, those supported by notes of fresh herbs, chocolate and vanilla. Drink from release-2011. Tentative Score 86-88. K (Re-tasted 2 Jul 2008)

Tanya, Cabernet Sauvignon, Reserve, 2006 (Barrel Tasting): Full and firm, almost muscular, with firm tannins that need time to integrate but already showing good balance and structure. Opens to reveal blackberry, currant and purple plum fruits, those with hints of mocha and licorice. Best starting in 2010. Tentative Score 87–89. K (Re-tasted 2 Jul 2008)

Tanya, Merlot, Reserve, 2006 (Barrel Tasting): Deep ruby towards garnet, medium- to full-bodied, with soft, near-sweet tannins and hints of spices and vanilla from the barriques in which it developed. On first attack raspberries and cherries, those yielding to red plums and cassis, all on a light background of Mediterranean herbs. Drink from release. Tentative Score 86–88. K (Re-tasted 2 Jul 2008)

Tanya, Merlot, Halel, 2006 (Advance Tasting): Showing Tanya's signature of near-sweet tannins, a
soft and generous medium- to full-bodied wine with a plush texture and its cherry, red berry fruits
supported nicely by notes of tobacco and smoke. Drink from release-2010. Score 88. K (Tasted 2 Jul
2008)
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Z Spigelman » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:44 pm

Hi Daniel.

Do you have a WTN for:

Tanya Halel Cabernet Sauvignon 2005?

Thanks.
Z Spigelman
Wine guru

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:51 pm

Zvi, Hi....

Following is my most recent tasting note for the wine in question.

Best
Rogov

Tanya, Cabernet Sauvignon, Halel, 2005: Deep and concentrated, almost impenetrable garnet in color and with firm tannins and generous wood still holding back the fruits here. No fear though, for this one shows fine balance and structure that bode well for the future Oak-aged for 16 months, opening in the glass to reveal firm but elegant dried currants and blackberry aromas and flavors, those gaining complexity and depth on the long finish. Drink now–2012. Score 90. K
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Z Spigelman » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:10 am

Thanks.
Z Spigelman
Wine guru

Postby Matt Walter » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:47 am

Has anyone seen these wines in the US? If so, where?

Thanks!
Matt
Matt Walter
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:59 am

Matt Walter wrote:Has anyone seen these wines in the US? If so, where?

Matt, Hi.....

Sometimes the best way to get that information,especially from small wineries, is to drop an email to the winery. In this case to Yoram5733@walla.co.il

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum